Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baby dreads and job hunting

Necia Stoll
@necia-stoll
12 years ago
33 posts
I've been neglecting my hair for 2wks now, and I can't seem to make my hair look professional. At this point, it just looks like I'm a slob and don't take care of my hair. I can see the dreading if I look for it, but it's pretty messy and I have lots of gaps in my hair exposing my scalp. Is there a way to style my hair that won't hurt my dreads but will look professional? I work in the medical field and I wear bandanas and scarves over my crown at all times in public for religious/spiritual reasons.
updated by @necia-stoll: 01/13/15 09:31:24PM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I got hired while in the first 2 months of dreading. I just pulled mine back in a pony tail and no one actually noticed.
I like to wear snoods too since they are lightweight and they look more professional on women rather than a wool tam. You can find them in many colors. Aside from that, I tie my dreads up in a ponytail or I use a scarf (I have many, many different scarves. Thrift stores are a good place to find them really cheap) as a headband/wrap.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

val covered the styling thing pretty well so ill just add that your doing it for spiritual reasons so dont have to look professional through the process because the law doesnt alow descrimination on how natural dreads look if grown for spiritual reasons

so how you choose to style and pressent yourself is really your choice and any provisions u do make should be more for your own sake then the sake of looking proffessional

so wear it the way that makes u feel good

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Necia Stoll
@necia-stoll
12 years ago
33 posts
I went to an interview with them in a ponytail and a scarf tied around my head like a headband and I got hired! She didn't even say anything about my hair! I'm so relieved!
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

This is awesome! You know, I think that people worry so much about their hair and what the interviewer will think of their appearance that sometimes it gets in the way of their confidence, which is the real reason why people get hired. :)

Congrats!!

Necia Stoll said:

I went to an interview with them in a ponytail and a scarf tied around my head like a headband and I got hired! She didn't even say anything about my hair! I'm so relieved!
Necia Stoll
@necia-stoll
12 years ago
33 posts
Well, the last place I worked said that I couldn't have them cuz they're unprofessional. Which I thought was a racist thing cuz I had two co workers with dreads. Both black. You get that a lot around here. Almost everyone over 40 has told me white ppl don't need dreads :/
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

school them on the law and if they dare say it again sue em

thousands of cases already been won so precedents are set and its pretty much an automatic win

in the featured discussions theres 1 i wrote its a letter to employers about natural dreads find it edit it and be preopared if they dare say anbything ask them if theyd dare questu]ion someone who wore a yamika or burka and then present the letter

ask them if descrimination is profesional ask them if theyd be professional while refusing to treate someone wuith dreads

professional would mean to treat every person with respect

Necia Stoll said:

Well, the last place I worked said that I couldn't have them cuz they're unprofessional. Which I thought was a racist thing cuz I had two co workers with dreads. Both black. You get that a lot around here. Almost everyone over 40 has told me white ppl don't need dreads :/

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form