Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

stinky {mildew?} dreadlocks

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

DON'T SUGGEST SHAMPOO...SHE MIGHT BREAK A BLOOD VESSEL.

Desirae Rose said:

The few times my hair started to get that funky smell, I fixed it by doing a soak in warm-to-hot dishwashing liquid water, followed by another warm soak in vinegar (either regular clear vinegar or apple cider vinegar). Then a good long washing scrub session with shampoo and a long rinse.

updated by @panterra-caraway: 07/23/15 04:37:21AM
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

thanks for the suggestion, but I am not open to using chemical detergents on my scalp. I will stick with the vinegar and try some other things. Thanks!

Desirae Rose said:

The few times my hair started to get that funky smell, I fixed it by doing a soak in warm-to-hot dishwashing liquid water, followed by another warm soak in vinegar (either regular clear vinegar or apple cider vinegar). Then a good long washing scrub session with shampoo and a long rinse.

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

go away troll.

Panterra Caraway said:

Desirae Rose said:

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

Wool is a very good wicker. If you have anything that's 100% or no less than 80%, you could use that also. :) g.l.

Mama Harrison said:

thanks. I do use lavendar EO--perhaps a shamwow towel would be benficial for drying. I will look into that for sure :)

Dave said:

hiya mate i'm sure here recommends Lavender oil as a mildew/mold "cure" so id search that idea here and maybe do lavender oil rinse and maybe get one of the super absorbent towels like "shamwow" to help wick the water away and dry them quicker.Hope that's some help :)

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

I will be here long after you sunshine...but, I won't smell :) Kisses <3
Mama Harrison said:

go away troll.

Panterra Caraway said:

Desirae Rose said:

Earthstudios
@earthstudios
13 years ago
108 posts

I also have noticed a mildew smell but only when my hair becomes slightly wet. It was worse about 4-5 months ago but started using regular shampoo again but I dilute it. I have a plastic bowl in the bathroom that I put small squeeze of shampoo in (oh about the size of a quarter) and then fill the bowl with water. I mix this around so its soapy suds and then pour that over my dreads and massage scalp. I'd have to say it helped 90% buthasn'tcured itcompletelybecause I can still get a hint of it when my hair becomes slightly wet. Next solution for me might be a mild bleach solution. I stress the mild aspect. Maybe one teaspoon per gallon or even less. Objective here is to kill mold spores. And might even go a different route than the bleach just depends. But I'll look to science as to what mold hates. Will report back once I learn about mold spores (the enemy) and decide on the most most natural approach toeliminatethem.

Earthstudios.

Earthstudios
@earthstudios
13 years ago
108 posts
but will it kill the spores as well?
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

White vinegar will. It has different properties than the ACV...but, she already said she doesn't want to use that (the white).

Rugby Girl said:

Tea tree oil will but I'm not sure about the vinegar.

Earthstudios said:

but will it kill the spores as well?
Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
13 years ago
87 posts
Distilled white vinegar sold in supermarkets are considered "dead" vinegars with none of the enzymes and other live factors that make raw, unpasteurized vinegars so valuable. Distilling removes the beneficial "mother" from the vinegar, thereby, destroying the powerful enzymes and life giving minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, natural organic sodium, magnesium, sulphur, iron copper, natural organic fluorine, silicon, trace minerals, pectin and other powerful nutrients. Also destroyed are natural malic and tartaric acids, which are important in fighting body toxins and inhibiting unfriendly bacteria growth.she said she cant use white vinegar. not that she doesnt want to.
MRH
@mrh
13 years ago
8 posts

The most common cause of dread mildew is when the hair hasn't been given enough time to air dry before sleeping on it. You also live in an area with a lot of humidity which is probably contributing to the problem. I second the advice about the apple cider vinegar and tea tree to get rid of the the build up you already have and maybe buying a microfiber towel to dry your hair quicker. Good luck!

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form