Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dying dreads with box color...? Need help.

joyful.d
@joyfuld
13 years ago
9 posts
I dyed my dreads at about that point and had them start to unlock on me. I think I used Garnier dye which, true to its claim, moisturized and conditioned during the colouring process. So I'd suggest avoiding dyes that have lots of natural conditioning oils in the colour to reduce the amount of unlocking you end up experiencing. Good luck to you!
updated by @joyfuld: 07/09/15 09:33:10PM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Atleast I get an idea :) Is your natural color the one in your profile pic? It looks like you have alot of different tones going on due to it being lightened unevenly...that right there can give you uneven color for the return to your natural color. It also looks like you have some warm tones in yout hair and that it can pull a bit of red. I would strongly suggest you use a filler. This will be insurance on getting the color to look uniform and hold well. You need to go to any beauty supply...like a Sally's or something...any one will do. Tell them that you need a bottle of neutral filler/clear filler. It will be inexpensive, a couple of bucks. You need this. Trust me. If this is your natural in the profile pic, let me know and I will get back to you with a color to purchase...almost there :) No worries <3

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Not that great of quality. Sorry about that D:

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Henna is not an option in this situation. She looks like she pulls alot of warm tones and with the hair already being bleached she is going to have a porosity issue... and although henna does come in different tones, the red is quite strong and with the bleach she will end up orange.

Sara M~ )O( said:

Is henna an option? Or will it not work?

Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts

My natural hair color is brown with very slight hints of red. I dyed my hair brown after bleaching one time and the color faded as I new it would a little, but it stayed brown with just a little hint of the golden blonde color.

Panterra Caraway said:

Atleast I get an idea :) Is your natural color the one in your profile pic? It looks like you have alot of different tones going on due to it being lightened unevenly...that right there can give you uneven color for the return to your natural color. It also looks like you have some warm tones in yout hair and that it can pull a bit of red. I would strongly suggest you use a filler. This will be insurance on getting the color to look uniform and hold well. You need to go to any beauty supply...like a Sally's or something...any one will do. Tell them that you need a bottle of neutral filler/clear filler. It will be inexpensive, a couple of bucks. You need this. Trust me. If this is your natural in the profile pic, let me know and I will get back to you with a color to purchase...almost there :) No worries <3

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Okay, here is what you want to do. Using a spray bottle, apply the filler I mentioned earlier in the thread to your entire hair. Apply it like hand lotion, in that you want to completley cover the hair, but not soak it where it is pouring off. If worst comes to worst, spray it thoroughly all over and then squeeze out the excess. Let this sit for 20 min. After it has sat there, blot it with a towel, so that your hair is wet but not drippy (do not rinse the filler out!). Now, apply your color (mix according to instructions). I would suggest a friend help with this part. Work as quickly as you can. Start in THE BACK, this is important. Apply the color to the middle portion of the hair first, leaving out the root area (where your hair is dark) and the very ends (the last inch). Immediately after you have gotten all the hair (middle part) covered, go back and apply the color to the roots and lastly to the ends. Start timing as soon as you are finished. Make sure to rinse thoroughly after you are done and it is time to wash it out. I suggest you try L'Oreal Paris Feria haircolor in Havana Brown 50. The reason I choose this is because it is a natural toned color without gold or red tones. Your hair has enough warmth on its own. Also, being a 50 means it is a level 5, which is a mid tone color (colors generally range from 1-Black to 10-Light Blonde). This color should also fade to a nice med. neutrel brown color that is believable and blends fairly well. It may seem dark at first, but as you know, it will lighten. Good luck! I hope it comes out great. Please send me an update :)
Jessica Ann Hughes said:

My natural hair color is brown with very slight hints of red. I dyed my hair brown after bleaching one time and the color faded as I new it would a little, but it stayed brown with just a little hint of the golden blonde color.

Panterra Caraway said:

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts

I wouldn't use the conditioner would I? That seems like a silly question but just in case, you know? And thank you for the help(:

Panterra Caraway said:

Okay, here is what you want to do. Using a spray bottle, apply the filler I mentioned earlier in the thread to your entire hair. Apply it like hand lotion, in that you want to completley cover the hair, but not soak it where it is pouring off. If worst comes to worst, spray it thoroughly all over and then squeeze out the excess. Let this sit for 20 min. After it has sat there, blot it with a towel, so that your hair is wet but not drippy (do not rinse the filler out!). Now, apply your color (mix according to instructions). I would suggest a friend help with this part. Work as quickly as you can. Start in THE BACK, this is important. Apply the color to the middle portion of the hair first, leaving out the root area (where your hair is dark) and the very ends (the last inch). Immediately after you have gotten all the hair (middle part) covered, go back and apply the color to the roots and lastly to the ends. Start timing as soon as you are finished. Make sure to rinse thoroughly after you are done and it is time to wash it out. I suggest you try L'Oreal Paris Feria haircolor in Havana Brown 50. The reason I choose this is because it is a natural toned color without gold or red tones. Your hair has enough warmth on its own. Also, being a 50 means it is a level 5, which is a mid tone color (colors generally range from 1-Black to 10-Light Blonde). This color should also fade to a nice med. neutrel brown color that is believable and blends fairly well. It may seem dark at first, but as you know, it will lighten. Good luck! I hope it comes out great. Please send me an update :)
Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Panterra Caraway said:

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

No hunie, don't use that. If you feel like thehair feels really bad or super dry follow with a bit of ACV :)

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

I wouldn't use the conditioner would I? That seems like a silly question but just in case, you know? And thank you for the help(:

Panterra Caraway said:

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Panterra Caraway said:

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts

Okay(: Thank you so much :D I'm still not sure whether to dye my hair just yet or let it grow out. I've seen pictures of people with bleached dreads and then they let it grow out with their dark roots. Most look pretty fancy. I'll wait a little while and think about it, but thank you soooooo much(:

Panterra Caraway said:

No hunie, don't use that. If you feel like thehair feels really bad or super dry follow with a bit of ACV :)

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Panterra Caraway said:

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Panterra Caraway said:

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

You are welcome. Even if you don't do it now, you will have the knowledge if you need it :) Two of my daughters are dreading. I found that my youngest, who is about 3 mos. along dreaded VERY quickly. She has very fine, silky hair that I had previously highlighted. The bleached pieces knotted up right away. My middle daughter, who just began a month ago is a red head (like myself!) and seems to have reluctant hair (just like me too!). So, I went in and highlighted her hair too and it is now beginning to dread. Bleached hair is much more fragile because bleach actually puts microscopic holes in the hair structure. Thus, the hair becomes weaker and thinner, but the outside cuticle layer becomes roughened as well...so, it helps the dreading process. Bylightening only selected pieces, versus the entire hair..I am in a sense doing a kind of"chemical T &R" to encourage the hair but not over stress it.You may want to leave the hair for awhile, until you are more mature in dreading (not sure how far along you are...) and then, to color once you feel you can't handle the color difference anymore...if that even happens...you may like it. Either way, happy to help <3

Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts

I haven't been keeping track. I started this set in June so a couple months. Since my hair has been dyed a lot it has helped the locking process. I wash about 2-3 times a week, too. Plus I spray them with water a little bit when they get too frizzy and out of control messy. I thought about using my other spray bottle for a sea salt spray and do that before I do my washes, but I know the water has to be warm and that would be a waste of my sea salt (I only have this uber tiny container that I've used to do soaks for my piercings). I also use the Jason shampoo. It's the tea tree one that's for your scalp. I've never used the bs/acv wash before though. Does it help with the locking process with bleached/dyed hair rather than the non-residue/natural shampoos?

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form