Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting questions: Silver rings, and super stiffness.

Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
Hey,I posted these questions somewhat obliquely in my introduction. I think I'll try my luck here, even if it's a double post.I'm in the process of twist/ripping my hair into knots. As I work my way backward (over the last three days so far) the ends of my knotted infant dreads keep loosening. To solve the problem (and also because I think it looks cool) I slipped silver rings (20g) with a 1/8" inner diameter around the ends, and then twist/ripped the tips until the rings locked into the hair. I'm okay with those rings being permanent, but I'm concerned about impeding the dreading process. I've read that rubber-banding is bad, and while this isn't as extreme, it's similar. Any input on using silver rings?Also, I'm knotting my hair up pretty tight. As a result, the baby dreads stick straight out in various hilarious angles. I look ridiculous, and I'm worried that I'm making mistakes. I know it's probably needless worry, but I'm new to this and I don't like looking like I did on Halloween all the time.
updated by @ryan-emmel: 01/13/15 08:29:40PM
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
I used to have silver rings in my dreads, and I loved them!!! I was sooo fancy lookin!!!But yes, rubberbands are bad, but because they pinch the dread too tightly (in most cases) and prevent the individual strands of hair from moving and locking up. But with your rings, they can only be so tight, so as long as the rings are just a bit larger than the dread itself you won't have any problems.Actually, I wouldn't even work on the rings being permanent, if you just slip them on your dreads and periodically grab the rings and slide them up and down the length of your dreads a few times it'll help to push the fuzzies in and mature your dreads faster.As far as the sticking forward all funny like goes, that'll calm down. Once your dreads start mature a bit more, and the roots loosen up some from the pulling, they'll start falling into place. It's just a time and patience thing, but I'm sure you aren't going to have a problem with that.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
the ri9ngs are good they will helpthe super tightness is unesacaryall dreading takes time not effort..you can twist and rip really loose and it will dread just as wellbut the tightness and sticking out weird will loosen and relax after 1st washas long as ya avoid all so called dread products you'l be fineyour worried bout screwing things up/you can really do some screwed up things to start dreads and still have em come out beautifuly

these dreads were started by about 30 different people with 30 different "methods"one dread was started by rubbing 2 stones against the hairone was started by tying a stick to the end then twisting it till it twisted up into a lil ball (ya know how when u twist a phone cord (when phones still had cords) or rope up beyond its limit of twistability it starts to twist and wrap around itself..) then once it was twisted to the max the tip was pulled out till it popped back straighgt..and stayed togethera couple were twist and ripped..a few (1st few) formed naturaLY on theyre own after 2 weeks in the woods and 2 washings in a mountain stream (brrrr)one was braided then left to dreadtheres really no way of telling vissualy wich had what done to itif you did nothing but stick in those rings in loosely bundled hair it would dread just fineso relax..dont over do it with trying to get em too tight or perfect..time will take care of all that for ya

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
soaringeagle said:
one dread was started by rubbing 2 stones against the hair
I've never hear of this method, it sounds interesting.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
youve heard of grandpa woodstock? (google image search him)that was grandpa woodstocks rock and roll methodhair wants to dread..methods or no methodsin the end what ya do to start em dont matter too much as long as it dont do too much harm Alden said:
soaringeagle said:
one dread was started by rubbing 2 stones against the hair

I've never hear of this method, it sounds interesting.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
mike e
@mike-e
15 years ago
2 posts
yah the tightness goes away as the baby dread unravels. i did t&r bout less than two weeks ago and mine are already locking up, amazing. i did have rubberbands on the tips but took them out soon after and found that i could use a small crochet hook and suck the tips in. a little harsh on the tips but it gets the job done. and if done right, the tips will look natural
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form