Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shaving baby dreads off-Receded hairline

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
It very well could be from cornrows in 2009 for like three-five months there i got em done up once-twice a month.
soaringeagle said:

stop using those theyre clogging up the pores

but um hair will not recede on 1 side only if it is its not recedingits traumatized from twisting or pulling (i believe i could be wrong)something u had been doing i think caused it

now use a estringent to clean the pores teatree witch hazel something like that

then rosemary on the scalp

theres also in products section 2 discussions with hair tonics 1 that helps hair grow i think its vodka based with i think rosemary maybe nettles

i forget

the castor oils are only gonna make things worse i believe

lets see pics i am fairly certain its from how u styled ot pulling it back twisting braiding or corn rows..

most likely corn rows

i bet its not as noticable as u think too

updated by @thundersquall: 07/23/15 04:02:00PM
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts

Also not that it necessarily has anything to do with it but i do tend to sleep on that side more 98% of the time which could cause rubbage. Well your responses are apreciated and very thought provoking. SE your idea of using perhaps witch hazel is an interesting one, and panterra i wondered about your idea of perhaps washing a little more often; the idea being of cleansing the scalp more often seems to make sense. If i can get a camera this week and post it i will do so definately.

I almost wonder if it could be a infection of some sort because there are times when i can feel it liek a tingling burn, in a way that my other side does not. Or i could be mistaking that for the scalp being stretched too tight.

As to my age i am twenty three, and male baldness does run on my mothers fathers side. Tho again, the fact that this is only happening on the right side is questionable. I am not vegan and recently started taking a whole foods organic multi-vitamin which i hope will help. I almost wonder if when i used to do cornrows if perhaps my scalp on that side was stretched taut and perhaps never full recovered..? If so that raises a different set of questions all together.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

last night i posted a discussion "tightening dreads dangers" all about traction alopecia that should explain what i believs going on

i only put a few pics in it but if u google image search traction alopecia u will see many had baldness in the pattern of the cornrows!!

all that tight braiding..twisting..etc that causes the hair to pull away from thescalp leaving scalpy lines or scalpy areas around dreads can cause permenant balding

its why alot of 19 year old african american girkls are getting hair transplants!

and all those braiding/dreading salons are causing it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Absolutely! Extended periods of tension on the scalp will do it in! I had a client who was a waitress and wore her hair in a very tight ponytail day after day. At first, see experienced little hairs around the face which she called "baby hair" and thought nothing of...in reality, it was breakage. After alonger period, her hair just disappeared. Look at Stevie Wonder, he has worn cornrows for years and his hairline is going further anbd further back! Thundersquall, I think we have definitely nailed your problem.

soaringeagle said:

last night i posted a discussion "tightening dreads dangers" all about traction alopecia that should explain what i believs going on

i only put a few pics in it but if u google image search traction alopecia u will see many had baldness in the pattern of the cornrows!!

all that tight braiding..twisting..etc that causes the hair to pull away from thescalp leaving scalpy lines or scalpy areas around dreads can cause permenant balding

its why alot of 19 year old african american girkls are getting hair transplants!

and all those braiding/dreading salons are causing it

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts

It just seems wierd to me that it is only happening on the one side though. I mean, at least if it was equal on both side i could get the edges tripped up like hummingbird lovegorilla. I am looking into getting a tea tree oil shampoo as well because like i said i sometimes feel a slight burning, tingling sensation on that side that isnt present on the other. So i wonder if it could be that.

Yea i read some of your post SE about the alopecia and cornrows and it made sense, particularly since that is a hairstyle lot of folks wear almost every day. Again tho i wonder; if it is related to my cornrows, why does it seem it has gotten progressively worse? I haven't done that since 09..

What is that vodka rinse recipe you mentioned? Ill try anything at this point. Either way, preciate the support ya'll.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i featured both tionic discussions so liook in featured discussions for that

i dont have an answer for why it got worse but a theory as to why its on 1 side

when u did do the cornrows were they the straight back paralel types or the types that pull over from 1 side or do like the decorative spiral like (im so clueless when it comes to the names of these styles llol)

but u know whart i mean? did the rows go straight back fromn to back or sorta originate at the balding point more

i think in alopecia the scalps pretty traumatized wich could maybe account for the tingling amd maybe even the continued receding ? (or maybe just the oils clogging he pores does?)

panterra would know more im kinda applying logic gueeswork and some knowledge and trying to help without being 100% sure..based on what makes the most sense to me

ofcourse panterra has alot more intimate knowledge on hair structure and issues then i ever will (i admit im learnning as i go along haha)

(a year ago i never heard of alopecia, im learning new things all the time then using the klnowledge when it comes up)

anyway..

question..do u wear hats alot ..or even like self consously try to push the hair to cover there? your attempts to hide it maybe furthering thr trauma? (aliotta guesswork huh..lol the dr house of hair lol..diagnosing the undiagnosable)

lets truy this for a month..clkeanse the pores.. wash the hair more

in a month try to get a super macro photo of it..highest res as u can get ..i know probly wont be good enough to zoom in on a single pore but if its good enough to spot any possible growth or issues we should try it

aside from the hair lo\ss no other scalp issyues ariound there?

(srry bout the typing been an exhausting day)

--
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts

Nah i actually never wear hats. I do find myself subconsciously trying tp pull the hair down a little bit to cover the spot though. I tend tomess with that area alot with my fingers. So ill try your witch hazel idea and how often would ya'll think to wash it ? Mind you i have dry african type hair so a little goes a long ways..

Otherwise yea scant see any noticeable issues on the skin aside from the occasional red bump i get every now and then.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

try to not mess with it your pulling at its maynbe making it worse when u have dreads grown in they will hide it making it pretty invisible

id wash 2 times a weeek or sop and see from there..or..at least twise as often as u do now

how often ya wash now?

keep in mind ..we may never reeverse it maybe we can but more likely we will only be able to halt further problems..from gertting worse

the witch hazle/teatree ud say u can do every day but every 2 days is probly plenty too

im not sure if this will help or not bit cant hurt to try once..add a pinch of cayane to the witchazle or just to water put all oveder the area let stay till u gfdeeel s burning and redening of the scalp (slightly) then wash or rinsse (being very carefl to keep away from eyes..ouch)

this will stimulate bloodflow to the area (too long and u can cause boils so dont overdo it)

like i said not sure it will help but i know restricted bloodflow could cause the loss as well as the tingling ..like a localized numbing (tho if that is the issue its lilk odd since not alot could restruuct bloodflow to the area unless there was trauma or a clog or clot ..so i doubt its lack of bloodflow ho increasing it cant hurt)

(thinking outside he box now haha)

if you do think it is alopecia we can look up options tomotrow

--
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
Hey man anything that might even prevent further damage ill try heh. I wash bout 3-4 times a week currently. Was doing it five times a week but that dried my scalp out way to much so i cut back. I have been resisting the urge to run my fingers thru that area. The wierd thing is i notice whenever i do a hot oil treamtnent on my scalp, it actually looks better like not noticeable, almost tricking me into thinkingsome of the hair has grown back in. But if i wash it every day and forget to oil treat it you can definatelly see it. Wierd..
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

weird but that kindsa means in general its not as noticable as u think unless your looking dfor uit

i really need to see pics

--

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form