Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is it true you should cut your hair shoulder length before locking?

ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
My hair is past my rear end and a friend of mine who frmally had locs insisted I cut it first. I've only been in the locking road for a few days and my hair seems to be doing fine. Is there any truth to this or is it just a myth? I have friends who want locs as well only they're going to "sistalocs" so would it only have some hounds with the skinnier kind? That's what he had. Just wonderring maybe give some advice for my friends as well.
updated by @zeefighter: 02/14/15 11:37:12AM
ratcakie
@ratcakie
14 years ago
60 posts
no way, mine was 2 ft or so when i loosley backcombed and 7 mths in they are going fine. admitedly they are much much shorter now most shoulder length and some at the bottom of my ears... what method are you using? regardless of method, i think this is a myth,,, happy travels my friend...
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
No, starting with long hair is just fine and I don't really understand "sistalocks" I don't know what the difference is but it just sounds dumb. Plus you have to pay for "sistalocks"....just say no thanks and become a grow your locks naturally. That's the healthiest way. They may come out thin, may come out thick. But they're healthy no matter what! And welcome to the site!
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
Thanks uh I really don't know who coined the term "sistalocs" to be honest with you. It never really been a term I was very fond of. Now thyre calling em babylocs but whatever. You can do the process as home if youre patient. My husband did but he took em out for natural locs. My insistance, however it was somethig he already wanted. They're much more unique.I twisted mine in all different widths. Although natural ones are cool, it's simply not what I wanted. They're not in any real set order simply because Odontoceti want them to look too manufactured. I prefer the crazier mis set look. With each person comes a different vibe.I figured it was a myth from the getty up. It's tangled hair lol. My hair tangles pretty easy. I wanted to see if there was some truth to it.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
lol, yeah I figured. One girl on here loves her "sistalocks" but shes freaking weird anyways. I don't understand half of what she says more than half the time. :P Haha. ricky williams said:
its just a scam really its all patented and stuff really expensive too and going back is usually required theres just sooo many dang locks i think they would technically called micro locks hmm idk but its crazy expensive for all of those itty bitty things

GreyGargoyle said:
No, starting with long hair is just fine and I don't really understand "sistalocks" I don't know what the difference is but it just sounds dumb. Plus you have to pay for "sistalocks"....just say no thanks and become a grow your locks naturally. That's the healthiest way. They may come out thin, may come out thick. But they're healthy no matter what! And welcome to the site!
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
It is if you get it done. I know people who do them theirselves though and thy look just as good. I used to wear raids alot and I always did it myself but everyone though I went o a salon or somehing. I think they're pretty and you can do all sorta of styles with them. But me getting them defeats the purpose of me getting locs in the first place. I just wanted something rightious and badass that I wouldn't have to spend every waking moment of my life dealing with. Locs knocks both those out.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Yeah, I saw that one video that SE posted. That crap is ridiculous. I also heard that alot of those people with "sistalocks" look down on other races getting dreadlocks and that they openly do it on youtube, at least that is what I've heard. So yeah, screw em. No money for them. =) ricky williams said:
im african american and oddly i find the title of them to be slightly racist against others like the only people who can have them are black idk but to do them in a shop you have to get a certification from the company also the woman doing them on youtube happens to work directly for them and sells products also sponsored by them :D :( it took her like 18 hours and 2 stylist helping her to finish someones hair
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
It's not cool to generalize. There's going to be assholes no matter what they're hairstyle is. My best friend is gettin them and a fried of hers has them and they openly encourage others to get locs as well. My brothers girlfriend isn't black and my neighbor across the street who has sistalocks alwys gives her help and tips on keeping up with her hair.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no u dont need to cut it and nooo dont do ssisterlocks thats interlocking and causes dreads ti break maybe thats why he said cut so they wont break so easyjust let em go natural you'll have amazing real locks not weak made locks

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
Oh noooo I'm definately not doing sistalocs. I don't want to deal with all that fixing and twisting. Just no. Too neat for me too. I like my hair wild. Yea i read what you said about interlocking. Makes sense. Also people with those locs hair tends to break. If anything I'll be warnig my friends against it.

soaringeagle said:
no u dont need to cut it and nooo dont do ssisterlocks thats interlocking and causes dreads ti break maybe thats why he said cut so they wont break so easy just let em go natural you'll have amazing real locks not weak made locks
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form