dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My second attempt at dreads

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts

Well folks,

Im new to the forums so hello for starters. I dont have dreads currently as i am waiting a couple more months before i start them, but in the meantime i figured i would try and get some advice.

My previous experience with attempting to get dreads was..not a good one. One would think hair like mine would take to them quite naturally, and this is true.But unfortunately, the last time i tried to do dreads i used advice from some folk who just may not have been too knowledagable about african hair. After all the brush rubs and sea salt sprays and non residue shampoo i still didnt have beginningdreads, even after two months. Had to take out the rubber bands then eventually cut the hair for a job. As mentioned before i still have a month or so before i really get them going.

I am looking to get them twisted once they are of length, but will start brush rubbing them soon just to get sections going. I have since switched to Dr Bronners. I read Soaring Eagles post about the dangers of wax so i will be avoiding that. But what of Aloe Vera? Is that a fine alternative then to starting and maintaining dreads? Anyone out there with hair like mine or who knows perhaps the best methods for locking such hair, i would apreciate your advice.

p.s Anyone know if two strand twists eventually end up looking like regular dreads or do they always maintain that "rope braid" look?

Thundersquall

updated by @thundersquall: 01/13/15 08:32:35PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
screw brush rubbing and rubber bandsyour hairs perfect for dreading naturaly! you said yourself it would dread take to them naturaly but what u were doing was undoing progressjust let em dread and seperate sectionsthat simplesea salt im not sure is good for african hair its sorta opposite of caucasion hairwe need to dry ours, you need to moisturize yours.aloe is the best thing for u (as neded)ofcourse if u dont want to let it dread naturaly u can twust, and twists do dread and look more like dreads over time.i would NOT brush rub or use any rubber bandsinstead stop cimbing and start just mindlessly "fiddling" with it twisting parts between thumb anfd fingers as u see secrtions forming stop messing with it except to seperate emi would love to get better guides to african hair but naturaly will work best in most any hair ..especioaly youirs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Thanks for the response eagle, preciate it. The idea of sea salt not being optimal for my hair is dead on cause your right it is hard to retain moisture in hair like mine. I figure then ill just keep washing my hair once a week with the Dr.Bronners/rosemary combination i use and hope for the best till i can twist em/get em to go naturally. Whats your opinion on how often to wash when attemptting to set hair up for dreads? Like i said i do once a week, but others have told me once a month till they actually start to lock. soaringeagle said:
screw brush rubbing and rubber bands
your hairs perfect for dreading naturaly! you said yourself it would dread take to them naturaly but what u were doing was undoing progress

just let em dread and seperate sections
that simple
sea salt im not sure is good for african hair its sorta opposite of caucasion hair
we need to dry ours, you need to moisturize yours.
aloe is the best thing for u (as neded)
ofcourse if u dont want to let it dread naturaly u can twust, and twists do dread and look more like dreads over time.

i would NOT brush rub or use any rubber bands
instead stop cimbing and start just mindlessly "fiddling" with it twisting parts between thumb anfd fingers as u see secrtions forming stop messing with it except to seperate em

i would love to get better guides to african hair but naturaly will work best in most any hair ..especioaly youirs
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Hey Tyler, Welcome to the site!SE nailed it, lolI'd say once a week is a good optimal routine, really don't think anyone should go up to a month though,
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Once a week sounds good to me; going a month without washing my scalp would make me go mad hatter. Thanks for the info. Iain said:
Hey Tyler, Welcome to the site!
SE nailed it, lol
I'd say once a week is a good optimal routine, really don't think anyone should go up to a month though,
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
no matter what type of hair you have -- if you use the dr bronners , avoid conditioner, and avoid brushing your hair --- it will eventually dread.welcome
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form