Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

thhoughts on sectioning

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i learned something recently while pulling apart congos, many if not most of my natural sections tat arent congos are not square or round, but rather teardrop shaped, with the point at top and rounded bottom, now i found 1 big 1 in particular were the point was near the crown of my skull (right side 3/4-1 inc off dead center) and te rounded base was all the way down behind my ear this oddly shaped section, easily 3 times longer then wide still resulted in a nice round dread

its very clear tat if your not going to allow your hair to section itself naturaly ten when you create sections its pointless to adhere to exact patterns and sizes, instead any shape is fine, as long as too many airs at the roots dont cross eachother

are your sefctions rigid in a pattern or organickly formed by te flow of hair over a curved skull (teardrop seeming to be the result of many)
te teardrop seems to distrubute weight best too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 01:16:32PM
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
My dreads were rigidly formed into 1"by1" squares, I loved their thickness but hated the way it made my roots look. There was just something that bothered me about the contrast between my gnarly looking locks and the perfect square sections. It was super noticeable until i grew enough loose hair to semi cover it up. Still, I couldn't help but feel like there was a huge checker board on my head. On top of all that I had a perfectly straight part down the center of my head, it was horrid looking unless i pulled some dreads over it.Next time I go for it I am defiantly going to just grab, and roughly size out each section.SE, what do you mean by "...as long as too many hairs at the roots dont cross eachother"?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if u randomly grab u may get airs from tsat dread---> comming from under te roots of tat dread<---- so te hairs are crossed and will tend to want to congo like fcrazy till u rip em akll outi recomend you just not comb a few days or a week your hair will section itself were it wants to naturaly...tis will creatre relatively trouble free sections since its where your hair decides to seperate itself Vinny said:
My dreads were rigidly formed into 1"by1" squares, I loved their thickness but hated the way it made my roots look. There was just something that bothered me about the contrast between my gnarly looking locks and the perfect square sections. It was super noticeable until i grew enough loose hair to semi cover it up. Still, I couldn't help but feel like there was a huge checker board on my head. On top of all that I had a perfectly straight part down the center of my head, it was horrid looking unless i pulled some dreads over it.

Next time I go for it I am defiantly going to just grab, and roughly size out each section.

SE, what do you mean by "...as long as too many hairs at the roots dont cross eachother" ?

--
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
I'll definitely give it a shot. What would you suggest I do if I wanted the sections to be bigger/smaller? Just divide/combine them? soaringeagle said:
if u randomly grab u may get airs from tsat dread---> comming from under te roots of tat dread<---- so te hairs are crossed and will tend to want to congo like fcrazy till u rip em akll out
i recomend you just not comb a few days or a week your hair will section itself were it wants to naturaly...tis will creatre relatively trouble free sections since its where your hair decides to seperate itself
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
pretty much yea but tey'll section in a blended variety of sizes, and migt not be easy to tell actual dread size till teyre well formed since tey can thicken alot Vinny said:
I'll definitely give it a shot. What would you suggest I do if I wanted the sections to be bigger/smaller? Just divide/combine them?

soaringeagle said:
if u randomly grab u may get airs from tsat dread---> comming from under te roots of tat dread<---- so te hairs are crossed and will tend to want to congo like fcrazy till u rip em akll out
i recomend you just not comb a few days or a week your hair will section itself were it wants to naturaly...tis will creatre relatively trouble free sections since its where your hair decides to seperate itself

--
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
Gotcha. well Ill figure something out, I don't really mind hard work as long as i wont have to deal with a grid pattern again *shudders*. soaringeagle said:
pretty much yea but tey'll section in a blended variety of sizes, and migt not be easy to tell actual dread size till teyre well formed since tey can thicken alot

IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
i know that with synthetic dreads, the people reccomend "triangular" sections for the purpose of eliminating those bald spotsi cant find a picture, but from what ive seen is that the triangles "overlay" each other, to completely cover up that "checkerboard" lookjust saying for those people that like sectioned dreads i would recommend trying layered, alternating rows of triangles, overlapping each other
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
almost all the sectioning done originally over 13months ago, pretty much faded, (poorly done anyway) pretty much faded, squares as they were, after all the ripping, im surprised how much that changes,but mine don't have much of any describable shape, more of incoherent mixes between squares/ovalsbut i guess if they are all different sizes this can affect that to,
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
hey did you migrate over here from knotty locks too Sister Rags said:
Yes, teardrop-shaped accurately describes my dread experience. I didn't section my dreads to start with and now the roots are smaller, with the larger part of the dread at the bottom.
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
you're tellin me! lol that website doesnt get that much traffic its the same 10 ppl posting from like 5 years ago Sister Rags said:
Hi! yes, I was on knottylocks briefly, just for a week or so. I drop in on occasion, but it's not the type of environment I am really looking for.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form