Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

essential oil spray questions

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Well, yeah, but you'll be mixing it with water. I hope. Not trying to use just the oils on your hair. Otherwise you'll burn your scalp off. EO's are not meant to be used undiluted. They do have medicinal properties and some are amazingly strong. Certain EO's can cause miscarriages in women, for example.

updated by @angel-frye: 07/16/15 03:05:02AM
«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

definitely. I'll be filling the 32 oz spray bottle with water then adding the essential oils.

so I'm stumped with the whole dropper thing. I checked my essential oils and they had this in the cap, I don't know how it works if it is a dropper: EO cap

I purchased my oils from essential trading post.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

It looks like one of the simple drop caps. Put it back in the bottle and just tilt the bottle upside down to let the liquid drip down through the small hole. You can test that theory by running some water through it. Should drip down a drop at a time.

Separation is something to watch for while using a spray of this nature. EO's naturally separate from water so you're going to have to shake shake shake in between sprays. There are chemical additives you can put in the water to stop that from happening but..... not sure if you want that crap in your hair.

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

hmm I tried that but don't think it is. It doesn't even appear to have a hole. it might just be to help seal the bottle so the strongfragrancedoesn't escape. I guess I'll purchase a dropper at a nearby drug store.

So any recommendations for the ratio of essential oils? I've heard people saying all three are strong (rosemary, peppermint, & tea tree). Or should I just use an equal amount of all 3?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

It's really a personalized science, ratios of EO's. For example, I find that three drops of basil damn near exfoliates my scalp while two drops puts me in nirvana. Three drops of lavender is just perfectly perfect but if I do two lavender and one basil it's too much.

Each EO has it's own properties and each person reacts differently do it.

My personal advice is to start with(in your baking soda OR your vinegar rinse) two drops of one type of EO. The next time you wash try two drops of another EO. Get to know them as individuals and then mix them to see how they like one another.

Something to also bear in mind-- EO's are very concentrated. They're powerful. Too much of a good thing can cause upset but too little of something can also not be as helpful as you need it. Like I said, it's a personalized science.

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

ok, gotchya. Though I'll be using the oils in a spray bottle with waterinstead of bs/acv ; for shampoo I just use bucks county bar soap (tea tree rosemary bar)

Sirick
@sirick
11 years ago
26 posts

A little bit of a necro-post, but I have a somewhat related question.

What exactly are tea tree's affects on hair?
Could using too much slow down dread forming?

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

I too have rosemary, peppermint and tea tree and also lavender but my bottles are half the size (about 500ml)... it was a little while ago when I made up the sprays but if I remember right I put in like 6 or 8 drops of each but into separate bottles.... so does that mean Ive put in too much? 6-8 drops to 500ml?

Ojas Acharya said:

yea generally the bottles are provided with an inbuilt dropper or an external dropper.... and dude dont use too much oils to start with. preferably i'll recommend to start with smaller amounts then see how ur scalp reacts and thenchangethe amounts accordingly.. and as far as my knowledge goes 30 drops of peppermint oil is way tooo much. i just use 4 drops of pepermint oil. thats maximum 4 me. u can use more drops of rosemary but dont exceed teatree to over 8-10 drops.. good luck brother.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form