dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Maintenance in Costa Rica

seven3
@seven3
12 years ago
3 posts

Hello Beautiful People,

I have just arrived in Costa Rica and plan to be here for a few months. I would REALLY like to find a salon or someone do maintenance on my dreadlocks. Overall, they are in pretty decent shape, but the roots really need some work. I am willing to travel to San Jose, Jaco, etc to make this happen. Please help!

updated by @seven3: 02/14/15 12:26:28PM
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

I am so happy to say, dreads DO NOT need any maintenance! Salons and ppl who you go to to have them maintained only take your money andkill your dreads! The only maintenance you need is to keep them clean, separate and sleep on your head! Keep your money or send it to me!.......

seven3
@seven3
12 years ago
3 posts

Sure. I get that. But I am having a time of it with the roots. There are a bunch of loose bits at the root that I need to work on. I only inquire about a salon because I don't yet know anyone personally here in Costa Rica.

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

Seriously, you don't need to work on them! If the roots are tight they won't dread up. You need loose hair at the roots to allow movement so they will tighten up. 1 - 3 inches at the roots is fine and normal! In time they ill tighten up! Be patient cause paitence is a virture!

Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
12 years ago
100 posts

perfect time to just leave them alone and let them do their thing ....the loose hairs will work themselves out

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 never ever go to a salon for dreads

2 if you work on the roots u weaken the dreads the roots need to be left alone if u tighten them mu go bald

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the roots need loose hairs at the riioots they dont need to be worked on the salon will screw u

seven said:

Sure. I get that. But I am having a time of it with the roots. There are a bunch of loose bits at the root that I need to work on. I only inquire about a salon because I don't yet know anyone personally here in Costa Rica.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
seven3
@seven3
12 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for the help. Perhaps I just need to do a bit more palm rolling on my own to get them looking good. I have strangers stop and tell me they look beautiful, but I see all the 'imperfections'

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

No dude! Palm rolling does nothing but breaks hair! Dreads are simple as can be and to do that is to do nothing to them but keep them clean! Why do you insist of doing permanent damage and risk going bald?

Everything you've read on DreadHeadHQ's site or wherever saying you need to palm roll, clockwise rubbing wax and so on are nothing but a bunch of lies you pay a lot of money to get is nothing but lies! Dreads have been around for thousands of years, long before man invented combs/brushes! Just keep them clean and forget about everything else! Let them do what they want to do!

IF yo're so concerned about them then wear a wool tam/sleep on a wool sweater!

Dreads aren't perfect but they're perfect on the person who wear them! Everyone who has dreads are different from the next person! Stop looking for the imperfections cause that's all you'll ever see and you'll get so fed up with them that you'll end up shaving them off!

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
There are no imperfections with dreads. It sounds like you've been convinced by an outside source that they must be uniform, perfectly sized and shaped. WHY!?!? Let your hair flow free, don't mess wih it. Let the wind and sea salt heal them from the damage that's already been done by crocheting, palm rolling, root rubbing. Wash them, let them be, come to peace with letting your hair live in a natural state. You'll become peaceful, less stressed, you'll learn to let all things in life do their own thing the way it's meant to be.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form