Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Looking for tips in regards to TnR on shorter hair.

Jon5
@jon5
12 years ago
6 posts

Hey all,

I've done a lot of research over the last few weeks, and I have found this site to be the most informative. Thanks for all of your great posts and knowledge you provide here!

I have been wanting to lock my hair for several years, but never did. I recently decided on using the TnR method. I have extremely thin, fine, shorter hair (~6"-3"). I can see a lot of folks on here are advocates of natural dreads, but I'm looking to kind of do more of a combo. I'm looking to start with the TnR for initial control,sectioning, and forming, and then just letting them do there thing. Being my hair is quite short, I'm not a fan of putting the rubberbands on the tips, but I don't mind doing so if the bands will help keeping it all in place for the first few weeks. Just looking to get on the right path and avoiding any unneeded scenic routes :)

Also, any tips on the earlier stages of care would be much appreciated!

updated by @jon5: 01/13/15 09:41:03PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont put bands on ever if anything put beads on the shorter ones thatare more likely to fall apart

care: wash..seperate as needed

thats all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jon5
@jon5
12 years ago
6 posts
Thanks for the quick feedback! I'll take your advice and remove the bands.
Jon5
@jon5
12 years ago
6 posts
Awesome! Thanks for the advice.
Jon5
@jon5
12 years ago
6 posts

So after about 4 days, a lot of the starter TnR dreads have completely loosened out and I have so much frizz at the top of my head. I would say that probably close to 40% of the locks have came loose, still hanging separately from the others, but not so much dreaded. My hair is naturally oily, and from what I've read, it's best to keep the oils to a minimum, so I've been washing every day or two, alternating BS and clarifying shampoo, and spraying with a saltwater mixture about 10-20 minutes prior to washing. After washing, I've been using a hair-dryer rather than towel drying, separating, and then just letting my hair do it's thing. My head hasn't been itching or anything, so I feel like this routine just may be a "go" for the current stage, but any advice is appreciated.

I'm going to try and upload an image later this afternoon to start logging the changes. I'd like to get a vision in mind of what my dreads will likely look like as an end result and through the progressive stages, as I think it will help me maintain patience. If you all know of anyone with a progressive gallery of their fine, thin, naturally oily hair going through the stages, it would be awesome to see their gallery for comparison. I'd love to know what to expect.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form