Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

wearing baby dreads in a ponytail??

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Skully, scrunchies are good to use too, just find a loose one or make one. Do you have a store called ARDENE'S where you are? They sell hair stuff 10 for $10, so you can load up on different colors.

Peace

updated by @the-barrellady: 07/23/15 12:41:58AM
hayley *:・゚✧
@hayley
11 years ago
10 posts

icompletelyunderstand that :)

but the back of my head turned back to normal straight hair that looked like it got brushed every day because the ponytail i was wearing was too tight. so ire-sectionedthe back of my head. but i did a good job of leaving them alone today :D

and this girl at work was like "oh i had dreads for two years and i have a dread kit at my house and you could definitely use more backcombing." bc my dreadlocks are starting too loosen up and they're pretty loose at the roots, some of them. and i said "oh...no..i don't want to back comb." and it was almost like she was trying to convince me to start over on my hair. and i really don't want to because i saw what soaring eagle said to someone else about twist and rip/dreadlocks in general and that if you keep starting over, you'll never make progress. so i really just want to let my hair do what it wants to do.

and today was kind of a weird day at work bc it was the first time i haven't had my hair up, but i just want to let my hair breathe, you know? and i don't want to keep stressing about what my sections look like because they are loosening up and taking in loose hairs around them and i'm just really happy with them and yeah my hair looks pretty shitty right now but i want to learn patience, etc. with this.

oh, yeah i bought a huge pack of daily vitamins and theres a lot of biotin in them, i'm just trying to get in the habit of taking the vitamins everyday. and i think most of my hair is 8 inches long now. i tried to wait a few months to let my hair grow out and let me tell you, i was excited every day to start my dreadlocks and tried to wait as long as possible and eventually i was like "fuck this" and started sectioning my hair for twist and rip at the beginning of this month hahaha
the Barrellady said:

Hayley Sweetie, you should not re-twist hair. It may cause weakening of the strands, and never do them tight. When you do the twist & rip method, they are not dreads, but a blueprint to where you want your sections to be. Those T&R sections need to loosen up in order to do their journey to becoming mature dreads. The process is they will loosen, some even fall out (not the hair but the T&R), the sections will loop, shrink, zig, zag and do any other crazy things they decide to do. By the time they are finished, they will be the thickness of the section at the scalp. So right now your sections lower down are skinnier than where it meets the scalp. That will change, but you have to allow it to change. Re-twisting just keeps putting you back to the beginning with that section.

Biotin can be found at your local drug store in the vitamin section, it is $cheap, it promotes hair growth, just take for 3 months. Hair under 6 inches is harder to dreads, takes longer.

hayley bethune said:

my dreads will be 2 weeks old on thursday. but i had to completely redo the lower back of my head because i wore my hair in a ponytail at work. my hair is pretty short. and i was mostly just selfconsciousabout wearing it down at work. my dreads on the back of my head completely came out and returned to normal straight hair. and while i know to just leave them alone, last night i twist and ripped the straight, undreaded hair. so now i have dreads that are growing a week a part.

Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
If I may interrupt for just a second, please...I was beginning to wonder if wearing my hair up was effecting my locks, myself... I noticed last week that most of my dreads that are balled up at the ends start "balling" where the hair tie hits them. When I read what Mons posted, I was like "Aha!"Will they eventually correct themselves? I will start wearing a bigger tie when I pull them back. I have to wear them up for work...And now back to your routine programming, thanks! :)
Larra Juab
@larra-juab
11 years ago
76 posts

I mostly tie (ponytail, or sometimes tight bun) my dreads for 5 times a week, but it's only during school time which is probably around about 6 hours and after that I just let my dreads loose as much as possible. I think about the process, it will depend on your hair type. My dreads are about 3 months old (natural) but it's sort of dreading up fast, and of course the roots will take a longer time to dread. I hope I somehow helped x) much love, and happy dreading ! :D

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form