Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

washing!

amanda11
@amanda11
12 years ago
15 posts

let's be honest....how often to we REALLY wash our dreads? i get mine wet in the shower, but almost never use a cleanser (dr.bronners)....once a month, honestly. is this a road to disaster? just looking for some feedback :) i've had my dreadies for a year almost, but am always looking for tips and pointers to keep them as healthy as possible.

updated by @amanda11: 02/14/15 11:32:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wash them way more they love to be washed i wash mine 2 times a week i wish i could wash them 3 times a week

i woulfd really advise u ash at least weekly but more often is better 2-3 times a week

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
amanda11
@amanda11
12 years ago
15 posts

wash with a soap? is dr.bronners ok? i dilute it quite a bit as well, and always rinse super well....thank you for such a speedy resonse, btw :) this site impresses me more and more all the time. i also feel like they get super frizzy/ fall apart after washing.... :(

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

frizzy yea they get frizzy when clean and settles down but washing helps them dread if they are as old as yoirs nothing hould make em fall apart unless the lack of washing has slowed progress alot

bronners iss fine if you dont havehard water but if u feel stickl]=y or slimy after using it then u shouldnt use it i use these www.dreadlockshampoo.com they are the best

u can use baking sk]oda and acv too theres info on that all over the site

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

2 or 3 times a week. most the time i use my liquid nag champa http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/ maybe one of those washes in a week will be baking soda instead tho.

amanda11
@amanda11
12 years ago
15 posts

is the liquid or bar better? or does it even matter? lol :P and does that shampoo leave residue if you have hard water?

soaring eagle said:

frizzy yea they get frizzy when clean and settles down but washing helps them dread if they are as old as yoirs nothing hould make em fall apart unless the lack of washing has slowed progress alot

bronners iss fine if you dont havehard water but if u feel stickl]=y or slimy after using it then u shouldnt use it i use these www.dreadlockshampoo.com they are the best

u can use baking sk]oda and acv too theres info on that all over the site

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you have hard water, Dr. B's wont rinse out well. You could get a soft water filer for your shower head. But you could also think about getting the soap from dreadlockshampoo.com, or using the BS/ACV wash.

For young locks, liquid is gentler on them

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I use Dr. Bronners without issue. Since you already have it, dilute it 1/12 it's strength and give it a try. I put my solution in an applicator bottle with a tip so that I can concentrate it at the scalp. I rub it in with my fingertips and then rinse really thoroughly. After that, I separate the dreads in the shower while they are wet or they dry too fast once I'm out. I will occasionally use ACV rince with lavender, tea tree and rosemary.

Once you've washed a couple times with Bronners you will have the verdict on whether or not it is working for you. If it feels greasy then switch to the shampoo mentioned above or do a BS/ACV wash. It doesn't hurt to experiment until you find something that works with your hair type and areas water.

When you wash they will be a bit fuzzy which is totally normal. Natural oils on the scalp can cause the hair to be too slick to dread properly/quickly so washing regularly is a good thing. I wash about 3 times/week depending on how much I feel that my scalp needs to be cleaned (sometimes hiking makes me a Sweaty Betty.)

amanda11
@amanda11
12 years ago
15 posts

thank you all so much for your advice!!! i washed today with peppermint bronners...and not only did it feel amazing, my dreads feel so soft and bouncy...it's awesome! maybe my locks are just mature enough to handle regular washing now... yay :) anywho, thanks a ton for all of the feedback. what a kewl site :D

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Baby locks actually need more washing than mature ones. When you are still in your first 6 months to a year, you should be washing every 2-3 days. Once they mature, you can go to once a week, but I wash 6 year old locks aver 3 days or so. Don't be afraid to get them wet. Just make sure they dry out between every wash

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form