Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Coconut Oil, Palm Rolling, and loose hairs/ends.

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

i don't know about coconut oil. Listen to everyone else on that one lol. I'm guessing its the bee's knees (lol) once your dreads are mature but to use sparingly prior to that point.

As far as palm rolling and bands go I would NOT use bands! When i did it did nothing but get my loose hairs wrapped all around them and it was very painful to get the out. Try making loose wraps with thread, that works better for me and its cuter too.

Palm rolling I have a love hair relationship with. I have only done it a handful of times but each time I have seen a difference. This might be because I only do it when my dreads aare wet, and it is less rolling as much as pressing down the loops together and rolling back and forth a few times. I haven't seen any difference on non super loopy dreads though. I'm sure putting a wrap or a bead will do exactly the same thing too.. if not a better job. I just prefer to do it because I don't like beads much, and it helps my stubborn ones dry faster since I'm squeezing water out.

updated by @aya-heartright: 07/23/15 04:45:24AM
Ann Brown
@ann-brown
12 years ago
1 posts

I was wondering about coconut oil to, was about to use it lol., my dreads are almost 2 years old and they are suddenly very dry :(

Kai Musa
@kai-musa
11 years ago
1 posts

I guess this forum isnt for people with kinky n natty hair like mine, cause the palm rolling worked for me, no excessive, just every once n awhile, and and i use Bronner Brothers super hair aid, has natural oils...including coconut and sometimes i will switch off of that n use grape seed oil, and my natty dreads look wonderful, i'm not saying everyone should follow this, but im stating how i did it and my opinion. Also what you put in your body is going to affect everything, including your hair! Also avoidconditioners. Have a jah bless day.

Kai,Vegetarian and fruitarian for 1 year n 6 months

Jenna Blair said:

No palm rolling, its dumb and doesn't do much, if anything at all. Baba fats has a video showing why excessive palm rolling is bad, watch it!

No bands either. They can actually weaken and break hairs causing your dreads to be weak later on. How old are your dreads? Loose crazy hairs will get sucked in eventually, its nothing to worry about especially in the early stages :)

As for coconut oil, I don't know much about putting it in your hair. But I use it for a few things, and I think it might be too thick to use in hair :/ Aloe is good for moisture and conditioning.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

actualy it only seems to help..extremely temporarily and you will have the sameresults by doing nothing

but agre with you about the food ive been vegatarian 29 years and my hairs amazingly healthy and strong

Kai Musa said:

I guess this forum isnt for people with kinky n natty hair like mine, cause the palm rolling worked for me, no excessive, just every once n awhile, and and i use Bronner Brothers super hair aid, has natural oils...including coconut and sometimes i will switch off of that n use grape seed oil, and my natty dreads look wonderful, i'm not saying everyone should follow this, but im stating how i did it and my opinion. Also what you put in your body is going to affect everything, including your hair! Also avoidconditioners. Have a jah bless day.

Kai,Vegetarian and fruitarian for 1 year n 6 months

Jenna Blair said:

No palm rolling, its dumb and doesn't do much, if anything at all. Baba fats has a video showing why excessive palm rolling is bad, watch it!

No bands either. They can actually weaken and break hairs causing your dreads to be weak later on. How old are your dreads? Loose crazy hairs will get sucked in eventually, its nothing to worry about especially in the early stages :)

As for coconut oil, I don't know much about putting it in your hair. But I use it for a few things, and I think it might be too thick to use in hair :/ Aloe is good for moisture and conditioning.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Supa Dread
@supa-dread
11 years ago
100 posts
My hair is matted as shit, n i never touch the tips, hey dont fully dread n blunt for a reason, for water to drain out. People are always teying toB.force their bodies to do shit thats unnatural. My hair is nappy and kinky as shit, n i never palm rolled the tips or banded the roots. I cant stress enough how important it is for young dreads to learn from veteran ones. I started with two strand twist n wax n regret it, shouldve gone natural. I would suggest taking the advice of the guy with 22 year old natural dreads then the ones of people with no dreads still thinking about it. People without dreads cant gibe dread advice. Would u ask a mechanic for health advice? Look at peoples profiles to find out dreading experience, mistakes, lessons learned. I come from a place of learning from a mistake. Had wax in n removed it 5 months later, since going natural progress has skyrocketed. Listen to SE, Baba, and other experienced dreads, i did n it served me well. Be careful whos advice u listen to.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form