Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I need some help with dandruff and a smell i get from my dreads...

nini2
@nini2
12 years ago
5 posts

lol...I dont want to think I have mold or anything. I have medium-thick sort of dreads and I've had them a few months short of two years.... i wash them every 2-3 days and do nomaintenancebesides ripping them apart, and i always use that Selsum Blue dandruff shampoo or whatever to control my dandruff (I know I shouldnt but tbh I have no idea what else to do)

well for as long as I can remember my dreadlocks never smelled good to me when it was wet and drying from a shower. the smell isnt getting worse or anything, i never notice it when its dry, but is this normal? it kind of reminds me of wet dog, i dont want mold and idk how to check, and idk what to do tbh..... no one has complained about a smell to me, everynow and then i just smell it..... i may be worrying over nothing..hopefully... D:

i'm not quite worried about the dandruff as i am about the smell. but any tips or anything would be helpful, thank you!

updated by @nini2: 01/13/15 09:26:00PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts
Don't use dandruff shampoo ever! That causes residue buildup which can't cause moldTry the baking soda or www.dreadlockshampoo.com soapsBut do a reside remover too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

The BS wash with essential oils will make your hair smell awesome all week long. Selsum blue stinks IMO. Like SE said get the residue out first , then try the other options. Before I was dreading I never found a dandruff shampoo that actually worked, but now that I only use organic stuffI have no scalp issues anymore.

nini2
@nini2
12 years ago
5 posts

oh sweet thanks guys...i'm sort of over the baking soda thing. i tried it a long time ago, and i may have put too much, but i ended up having horrible dandruff looking scalp for a long time after that so i dont think i wanna try it again... i'll work on getting the residue out... but how do i do that? :D

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

You could use Neutregena anti residue or a clarifing shampoo to remove it, or BS.I have to alternate between BS and Dr.bronners to prevent to much dead skin left over from baking soda. I just ordered shampoo from the site SE suggested, should get it Monday. Everybody raves about it. Thereis really good post on here about the correct measurement for BS. It's featured I believe, written by Baker street, he's a pharmacist.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts
The bs were u using acv after?Where u adding tea tree ad rosemary?

--
nini2
@nini2
12 years ago
5 posts

I got the neutregena anti residue and use it every few days, and already i dont notice that smell anymore thanks. but i feel like its a special sort of shampoo im not supposed to use all the time, and im not sure what to use in between, in normal washes...i used to have a bar of some organic soap with rosemary and I THINK tea trea oil, im not sure about that one... it ran out a long time ago and my mom stopped buying me proper organic soap from online stores lol and all i have now is water, some regular soap and the anti residue shampoo.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the anti residue is ionly suposed tyo be used rarely

try these www.dreadlockashampoo.com the teatree rosemary bar maybe

--
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

The tea tree is good for keeping mildew away and the rosemary is great for kicking the butt of dandruff. Prior to dreads I ALWAYS had scalp issues. Not so much now that I have changed up everything. I use Dr. Bronners Lavender diluted 1/12 with water, rosemary, tea tree and once a week I do an ACV rinse with those same oils plus lavender. The hair smells awesome too!

Just gotta find what works for you and get those essential oils in there!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form