Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help and advice please for new dreads I'm sooooo confused!!!!

AllOrNothing
@allornothing
12 years ago
35 posts

Also, I didn't see anyone else cover this, so I hope I'm not being redundant, but tying your hair up will slow the locking process. It won't tighten, it won't loosen, it'll just sit still.

updated by @allornothing: 07/13/15 03:40:38AM
Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

Wooooowww!! so i just thought id let you guys know i washed my dreads this afternoon with the baking soda and apple cider vinegar recipe. i found some tea tree and lavender oil so i added a few drops of them aswell. I did everything you guys told me and took out all my rubber bands and they now feel and smell amazing! i can totally feel the difference. The tips have came out a little bit on a few and there is a little frizz but apart from that everything looks great! After they dried i separated them but thats about it i didnt do anything else I'm just going to leave them i think. All of the dread maintenance things seem to cause some damage and i really dont want to cause them anymore after starting with the crochet method

Thanks so much! i really appreciate your help

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Awesome, Harriet! so glad you're feeling better about your hair.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Pics? That's awsome. See how much freer your hair and whole head feels when you take the bands off. it's like cutting off shackles. You feel like your whole head isn't constricted anymore. I had bands on mine for a little while when I first started. It was the most liberating feeling to take them off and leave them off.

The frizz will die down as they dry. And it'll get sucked into the locks making them thicker and puffier.

Good luck. Maybe make a timeline on the journal/timeline forum

Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

Yes ofcorse! I hope they work this time.

Ive Just woke up so there a little more frizzy and i have a lot more lose hairs but i dont mind, I'm only on day 4 so i guess thats to be expected. I do feel a lot more free without the rubber bands, its strange how something so little can make such a difference. The second image, the one of the back is so embarrassing. You can see that gap i was on about before, its awful, id love to go out just like this but i can't so I've been other wearing a hat or wearing them up. I done them myself so i have been pulling the hairs from the back round so i could see it but when i feel the roots a lot of the dreads are dreaded at the top when I've pulled but not at the bottom if that makes sense. Im hoping when they relax more they will move back into their proper place like in the middle of the section of hair instead of to the side of it. If this happens it will help a lot. Until then ill just have to put up with wearing a hat.

updated by @harriet: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I see what you mean, now. Don't worry about that. That will fill itself in. What I'm a little worried about is the size f your sections. Are you aware that they are pretty big? like 2 inches x 2 inches? That is probably what's cause that gap. And when your locks mature and grow in, they will be HUGE? It'll be a slight hassle with their drying time later on. If you want to keep them that big, PM me for some info on how to care for phatties like that. I've only got 14 locks, so I can help you with that

Harriet
@harriet
12 years ago
57 posts

Yes, i didnt really pay attention to sectioning, something i now regret and i have some larger ones and some really really skinny ones. I dont really want to undo any and redo them. at the moment I'm just going to leave them to do whatever they want to do so looks like, if they are going to turn really big, I'm just going to have to deal with that. I have 30 at the minuite so I'm hoping they will turn out okay but if they do go big i won't have a problem with that. So yes, advice on when they do turn into fatties would be greatly appreciated :)

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form