Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The Crochet method and how to recover, and maintain dreads...help!

Will Schofield
@will-schofield
12 years ago
2 posts

Ok, from what i gather from all the discussions the crochet method is not desirable, and its true, i hate maintaining my dreads and i can see the damage it does, but they are still in good condition and i dont think have too much damage. alot of people mention mature locks, how do i know if they are mature? Secondly i want to stop crocheting all together, what should i was my hair with? what do i need to know? what alternative methods are there? and how should i maintain my dreads? Thanks! One.

updated by @will-schofield: 01/13/15 09:18:58PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

you don't need to maintain them. they maintain themselves. Get a residue free shampoo form Dreadlockshampo.com, or use Dr. Bronners, or the BS and ACV wash. throw out any combs, crochet hooks, or other tools. wash them 2-3 times a week. After a few months (Closer to a year), you can start washing 1-2 times a week.

maturity depends on your hair. some people it happens really fast, other like me it takes about a year. When you can wash them and they don't come undone or loosen up a lot, they are maturing. mature locks see no change when you wash them except for a few frizzies here and there, but as soon as they dry, those frizzies go away.

To recover from the hook, just stop using it or anything else. Just let them fix themselves.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

It's simple. Just stop crocheting and let them recover you might get extra fuzzy from the broken hairs, but that will get better over time. Wash with either the baking soda or any dreadlocks shampoo. At least weekly. Then the only maintenance you need is to separate the roots so they don't grow together

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Will Schofield
@will-schofield
12 years ago
2 posts

ok thanks heaps for the advice...and it maybe be a rookie question, but a lot of people say the bs and acv wash...but what is that? how much do i use, like what portions? One.

Baba Fats said:

you don't need to maintain them. they maintain themselves. Get a residue free shampoo form Dreadlockshampo.com, or use Dr. Bronners, or the BS and ACV wash. throw out any combs, crochet hooks, or other tools. wash them 2-3 times a week. After a few months (Closer to a year), you can start washing 1-2 times a week.

maturity depends on your hair. some people it happens really fast, other like me it takes about a year. When you can wash them and they don't come undone or loosen up a lot, they are maturing. mature locks see no change when you wash them except for a few frizzies here and there, but as soon as they dry, those frizzies go away.

To recover from the hook, just stop using it or anything else. Just let them fix themselves.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

BS= Baking Soda. ACV= Apple Cider Vinegar.

IF you have a large container, it's good to make a big batch of each. For 1 gallon of water, mix 1 cup of BS. In another container do the same with ACV. If you don't have big jugs, about 1 Tbls to 1 cup of water.

Rinse your hair. pour some BS mix over your head evenly. Don't scrub at all. The BS was doesn't need scrubbing. Leave it in for 10 minutes or so and then rinse well. Do the same for the ACV but only leave it in for no more than 5 minutes. ACV is a conditioner. It'll make your locks nice and soft. Einse that out really well, and you're good to go

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form