Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Questions On Ways to Start/Maintain Dreadlocks? Etc.

XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts
I've had dreads for a year+ now & am thinking about cutting them off & starting over. I made a lot of mistakes prior to & during the time I've had dreads that have damaged my hair. I would like to know the do's and the don't's as far as dreading & the whole process, maintenance, etc. I am biracial so my half grows like a fro & curly. Is it better to start with skinny dreads or just start with medium sized? - Do skinnies lock up faster than thicker dreads? Does the shrinking process take the same amount of time as with thicker locks? / What is the best method into creating the locks? I don't want them to look clean an perfect, but I don't want them to look unpresentable (Neglect cannot be am option for me). & why is this the best method? What's the best way to lock up the roots? I used clockwise rubbing, because I was told that would do the trick, but due to that I lost quite a few dreads. So I know that's not a good idea. I've also heard interlocking isn't good either. / What product should I use for locking, etc.? Should I use a wax/locking gel at all? Why or why not? / If I were to get skinny locks, would it be easier to make them into thicker dreads than if I were to start off with medium sized dreads? I did this before & now they shrunk dramatically & I feel it won't be years 'till they can even become thick. / By wearing a wool beanie to sleep, does that do more harm than good to my hair? What's a natural way to speed up the locking process if I didn't use wax? / Any suggestions, opinions, experiences, advice, etc. are more than welcome. I'd be very appreciative if all of these questions were ans.'d because these all are concerning the accidents & poor experiences of my dreadlocks. I'm not sure about cutting them 'till May, but I would still like to know in advance if I decide to restart this process over.
updated by @xyz123: 01/13/15 09:18:25PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont cut comvb out

why would neglect not be an option it is absolutely the best way eszpecialy with your hair t6ype

do absolutely nothuing to the roots ever

the roots are the dreads foundation damage the roots and lose the dreads

they never need hel;p to tighten and lock but they also never should be as tight as forced roots tend to be your lucky you didnt go bald

no products ever no wax no gel..well except if your hairs more african and tends to be vert dry and brittle then use jojoba or aloe as a moisturizer

never interlock you altready losrt dreads dont lose enm all

the reason natural is best is many fold 1st no damage..at all

2nd they look best and take the least effort

yoyur hair sections itself where it wants in a micx of skinny and fat that blend percvectly to look more real

if u start with thin or fat they mature nearly the same shrink nearly the same thicken up as they mature

u can allow them to congo when more nmature

if you dont go natural twist the hair into sections

and let them dread

do not continue to twist

if they return to totaly normal hair twist again

once they hold shape through several ashes just let them dread

the best way to dread is to let nature take care of every detail

the closest you stay to thar the best

so if u force the sections dont force the roots to tighten

but if ui were you id just let them dread on their own

neglect is the best \optikn by far

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Other than losing a few locks, are you having problems with them? Why start over if you've already put a year in and are ok. I have done some damage to mine, but they're 5 years old now and haven't had problems with them except 2 babies fell out a year or so ago from root rubbing. (Learned my lesson)

As far as starting again. If you want them to look better right off the bat, TnR is the best way to go. They will come out slightly as you wash them, but they will very quickly tighten up again. There's also a new locking gel from Dreadlockshampoo.com that is supposed to be really nice. From what I've heard it doesn't leave a residue like wax, and can be used as often as desired. Ask Eagle about it. He's using it on his beard right now, I think.

When you are starting, you don't want to wear something as tight as a beanie. They restrict movement and flatten out your hair. You want a tam that is big enough to fit all your locks in with room to move around. The brushing against each other is what helps knots form.

But wearing a hat is really not necessary. They will form on their own. Just a little Tnr and a little TLC and you'll have locks. The hat's mainly for if you need to go somewhere and keep them contained or looking good for a picture.

I formed mine without any knowledge about what people out there do to create locks, and they look fine and have no issues.

I really don't like to say it, but if you want, you could leave them be after TnRing them, but when you shower, put rubber bands on the tips. Once they dry, take the bands off. They'll help keep the shape after washing. You don't want to leave them in for too long, for all the obvious reasons that we're against rubber bands here. But I'll be the one to drop that bit of info on you.

I hope all goes well. Post some pics so we can see what you're working with and if it's really necessary to start over again. In the end it's up to you, but I'd like to see them

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea agree just stioping the harmful maintenance and if u used wax remove rthewax and you will recocer and be fine

98% of all dread problems come from the maintenance you do dont do naintenance and your golden

with 1 exception

that 2%

seperation if you dont want them growing togerther into a megadread

thats the 1 maintenance worthwhile

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form