dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

finding a balance

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

thanks everyone:)

@exalthim7 i just added some beads today. i'd rather not t&r just because i know it won't hold and i don't want to work on my hair more than i really need to. i've been saving up for a water softener for our shower head. i really need it for my skin than my hair though. this water just dries me out.

@hippiegal i actually don't like perfectly cylindrical dreads. thats why i chose the natural method. the bits of loose hair here and there don't bother me at all. i would just like all the hair underneath to catch up a bit. your probably right though when it comes to the hubs. i'm not feeling quite attractive lately and i feel like the mess on my head just bumps me down a bit more. i've always loved the bed head look but i'm not so sure my old self is pulling it off too well:/

@se okay, i"ll try the acv again on my next wash. **fingers crossed**

@baby britt thats one thing i haven't tried. i'd be worried though since abs is a shea butter based soap. although i've heard people complain about it drying out their skin. hmmm...

updated by @heather: 07/18/15 02:30:12PM
hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

Know the feeling, Heather. Take heart, even with the messy bits, your dreads are already stunning. Hugs! :)

baby britt
@baby-britt
12 years ago
112 posts

yeah it does dry out your skin quite a bit. it zapped mine and i have a slightly oily complexion.

Heather said:

thanks everyone:)

@exalthim7 i just added some beads today. i'd rather not t&r just because i know it won't hold and i don't want to work on my hair more than i really need to. i've been saving up for a water softener for our shower head. i really need it for my skin than my hair though. this water just dries me out.

@hippiegal i actually don't like perfectly cylindrical dreads. thats why i chose the natural method. the bits of loose hair here and there don't bother me at all. i would just like all the hair underneath to catch up a bit. your probably right though when it comes to the hubs. i'm not feeling quite attractive lately and i feel like the mess on my head just bumps me down a bit more. i've always loved the bed head look but i'm not so sure my old self is pulling it off too well:/

@se okay, i"ll try the acv again on my next wash. **fingers crossed**

@baby britt thats one thing i haven't tried. i'd be worried though since abs is a shea butter based soap. although i've heard people complain about it drying out their skin. hmmm...

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

Rain water can help if you have a way to gather it and filter it a bit. After 18 months mine really started to knot up. It's ups and downs...theweatherdoes a lot. When I was in Gasp (a region on the coast of the Saint-Lawrence river in Quebec) My hair just dreaded like crazy, the cold the wind and the salt water really knotted things up. Don't worry it's going to dread up...in time.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

rain water sounds lovely but here in california we're going through a drought. it was actually 82 degrees here today. so much for winter. i'm going to cut back on the sea salt and see if that help. my hair feels fried. it probably doesn't help that i dry it in the sun too. ugh:/

Jdwood said:

Rain water can help if you have a way to gather it and filter it a bit. After 18 months mine really started to knot up. It's ups and downs...theweatherdoes a lot. When I was in Gasp (a region on the coast of the Saint-Lawrence river in Quebec) My hair just dreaded like crazy, the cold the wind and the salt water really knotted things up. Don't worry it's going to dread up...in time.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

so i took everything out of my hair (beads, wraps). i washed with tea tree tingle shampoo. i skipped the sea salt. my hair still feels like straw. so brittle and just awful. i'm seriously considering using conditioner after my next wash.

Michell Rodriguez
@michell-rodriguez
12 years ago
12 posts

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO ME!!! my lower half doesnt dread no matter what.. its so frustrating that i have resolved to just keep that lower half undreaded. it actually shows in my pictures lol. but i always feel like im less of a dreadhead because of it, makes me feel bad.

but i like what you said about "Part dreaded and part undreaded is a really cool juxtaposition". that just made me smile extra hard. thanks for the indirect confidence boost lol

ExaltHimx7 said:

my whole underneath is undreaded too, Heather, but I have well defined sections. I bet it will in time, and I bet yours will too. Just use something that smells and feels good for your hair and don't even think about it knotting, you committed to no brush, so just keep it clean soft and comfy. It looks way cool as it is, I think. Part dreaded and part undreaded is a really cool juxtaposition. You could always t & r it, slip beads on to keep it tight and then you wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. Can you get a water conditioner system?Even Brita would help for washing. In my humble opinion, you are lovely whatever it's doing']. My Hubby wasn't thrilled either, haha, but he loves me so he puts up with me being me, too.

Jamie5
@jamie5
12 years ago
12 posts

How often are you going between washes? I have very hard water where I live also and I use neutrogena anti residue shampoo once every week and a half or 2 weeks.
If you do decide to use conditioner use something natural and non-residue.

Michell Rodriguez
@michell-rodriguez
12 years ago
12 posts

Hm dont use conditioner! arent you trying to get the loose hairs to knot up? i think it would reverse your progress in a way. but i understand you're frustrated and at this point anything that will help (even if bad) seems like the only way out.

Heather said:

so i took everything out of my hair (beads, wraps). i washed with tea tree tingle shampoo. i skipped the sea salt. my hair still feels like straw. so brittle and just awful. i'm seriously considering using conditioner after my next wash.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i wash every 2 or 3 days. i'm quite sure i over did it with the sea salt. i have an organic conditioner. i was just going to apply it to the mature dreads that feel brittle.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form