Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Please advise....

EJ Dixon
@ej-dixon
12 years ago
1 posts

My dreads are 4 days shy of being 5 months old. I originally got them done through the double twist method and for about 3.5 months was getting the new growth crocheted about ever 6 weeks. after that I would just palm roll them without using anysort of product of any kind in my hair accept for Jamaican mango and lime shampoo and conditioner about once a week and ive been doing that for about a month a half now. This brand is the only dread care line available in my "remote" city

I wash so often cause I live in a very harsh and dry sub artic climat (Anchorage, AK.) My dreadies havent suffered much but my already persitant dry scalp has and not washing for more than a week and a half is just about unbearable.

Ok to my perdicament. After about 5 months most of my dreads are better off than others. Some feel as they should from near root to tip, but others especialy my bangs and some on the sides of my head are forming rather slow. The tips of them are still farely loose and i have to palm roll them every morning just so they look presentable seeing how i dont much like wearing hats anymore. I also have a problem with loose hairs rearing their ugly faces randomly.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what im doing wrong and slash or right?

Should i just leave em alone and let them be?

Please advise :)

P.s. not sure if pictures convey my supossed plight...

updated by @ej-dixon: 01/13/15 09:17:42PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

never crochet dreadss

paLM rollings pointlerwess

wash them more not less often

your causing loose haqirs by crochet

just leagve em aklone

wash and seoerate

thats all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

crocheting break the hairs causing them to poke out in every which direction. They will fix themselves on their own as they age, but you are just causing more damage and frizzy hair by crocheting.

Like eagle said, wash more. I live in atemperatezone (south east Pa.). I was once a week or more sometimes.

If you really really can't stand the frizzy hairs, you might want toreconsiderlocks. They are by nature frizzy hair.

They only time I would try to "maintain" them is if you have a special occasion to go to. Int hat case, rub a tiny amount of pure Aloe on each one. But you do not want to do that every day

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
Welcome! :) well, I think your locs look great and I'd just relax into it and let it be. At about 5 months I got to the place where I quit trying to control mine and the whole process has just become more enjoyable. Granted I look wilder than I might of otherwise. :)Just a heads up. I have a friend who went to Totally Natural salon and they CUT a loop off her dread and put something on her dreads that felt like it was petroleum based. O_o Granted she has euro hair and they socialize in Afro hair, but still. *cut*?!?! And I met another guy who was being seen there every couple weeks ("had spent a fortune") and they were twisting his hair (also caucasion/euro hair) and rebackcombing the ends every time. :-/.
elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
*socialize? Geez I hate autocorrect sometimes. Should be specialize. Anyhow, idk if you have gone or are going there but they are in Anchorage so I just thought I would give ya a heads up.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form