Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dry, tight, flaking scalp. help!

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

the weather in southern california is going through some unusually cold temperature recently. all of my skin is feeling the dry itchy effects of it including my scalp. i can slather my body in lotion but what do i do to alliviate the dry, tight feeling on my scalp and most importantly rid it of flakes. i was spared the oily scalp buildup that most get at the beginning of their journey but this is a dry dandruff. i have tea tree oil but i've heard that will dry out my scalp more so i need something that will moisturize my scalp withoutlooseningmy knots.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciate:)

oh and just in case you need to know i wash my hair with the liquid dreadlock soap about every 3 - 4 days.

updated by @heather: 02/14/15 05:41:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

try the bar every other wash?

teatree in small doses is good overuse it will dry ya

rosemary id good too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

the bar and my hair are not friends:/ it makes all my baby dreads unknot. i was hoping that there's some magic tonic or tea that i can pour over my scalp after washing to help soothe and moisturize.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

moisturixze will cause u issues rosemary would probly be the best option id guess

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts

Well I can suggest maybe some aloe vera on your scalp that can help short term but maybe adding more fatty acids (fish oils and flax seed oil are good) in your diet can help long term. Also make sure your drinking more water in dryerseasons. Not much advice but that is all I can think of.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

thanks jd. i actually already put flax seed oil in my fresh juice every morning. i definitely don't drink enough water in the fall/winter months. lots of tea though:) maybe i'll try a tea rinse with rosemary. hmmm...

Jdwood said:

Well I can suggest maybe some aloe vera on your scalp that can help short term but maybe adding more fatty acids (fish oils and flax seed oil are good) in your diet can help long term. Also make sure your drinking more water in dryerseasons. Not much advice but that is all I can think of.

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

I'd definately suggest a rosemary rinse, and perhaps hold back on the tea tree for a few days, are you still doing a lot with the salt? If so maybe cut back on that for a few days too, or try your darndest to keep it off your scalp? I hope it starts getting better, I know mine got worse when I stopped rinsing off in cold water since it got cold outside...maybe that could be a culprit as well?

HippyFish
@hippyfish
13 years ago
76 posts

Heather, I found this link... was sort of interested to see what was out there to answer the prob of dry scalp with dreads... might be interested in keeping this in my own back pocket :) Looks like a combo of what most everyone has already mentioned.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5030535_make-dreadlock-hair-care-products.html

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

yeah, i'm going to try the rosemary rinse. i haven't done tea tree since the summer. i still do sea salt sprays but completely avoid my scalp so i doubt thats the problem. i really think it just has to do with the unusually cold temperatures. my daughter has eczema and hasn't had an outbreak in years and right now she's dealing with a ton of spots all over her body. we just aren't used to this kind of weather.

Shanxon Lemasters said:

I'd definately suggest a rosemary rinse, and perhaps hold back on the tea tree for a few days, are you still doing a lot with the salt? If so maybe cut back on that for a few days too, or try your darndest to keep it off your scalp? I hope it starts getting better, I know mine got worse when I stopped rinsing off in cold water since it got cold outside...maybe that could be a culprit as well?

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

awesome! i'm going to mix up some of that spray. i need to get some aloe vera because mine expired but i have all the other ingredients. i love diy treatments and such. i just bought some organic oils today so that i can make my own facial serum. fun:)

Earthiest said:

Heather, I found this link... was sort of interested to see what was out there to answer the prob of dry scalp with dreads... might be interested in keeping this in my own back pocket :) Looks like a combo of what most everyone has already mentioned.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5030535_make-dreadlock-hair-care-products.html

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form