Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

So what should I REALLY do?

Sam4
@sam4
13 years ago
5 posts

I just had my dreads done by backcombing, and they are already becoming extremely frizzy, etc. The person that did them has told me to wait two weeks before getting them wet, and then continue washing them roughly once a week. He also has told me to come back in for check-ups to keep them maintained (which seems to me like a very transparent scam). What I want to know from you guys is should I wait to wash them? I have a saltwater pool that I can't wait to get them in to help them lock up. I realize that dreads are a process, and I embrace that. I just don't want to hinder the process! Also, what should I be doing to keep them looking nice and progressing? Should I rubber band them, palm-roll, rub the tips, wear a nylon when sleeping, use aloe to keep the frizz down, or simply nothing at all? There's so much misinformation floating around that I've heard to do several things and I want to get these babies started right (as right as they can be after backcombing)!

Any help is appreciated, and if I left anything out please ask. (:

Thanks!

~Sam

updated by @sam4: 01/13/15 09:07:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

go swi=m wash whenever u want to wzassh (gentle at 1st only washing the scalp_

why would u rub or roll or any of that no rubber bands ever ever ever

no wax ui hope u knew that already and none was used

aloe ..u can if u must for a formal event but it condituions so will slow the progress

leave the tips alone

leave the roots alone (except to seperate)

basicly let them dread

they will do it all by themselves

was wax used?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sam4
@sam4
13 years ago
5 posts
No wax was used. He simply backcombed and that was it...I have been palm rolling to try and help with the frizz. I'm just worried that if I wash/swim right away that the fragile "locks" that I have now will start to undo themselves and not get a chance to take a hold.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

they'll undo anyway so don't worry about it. thats what its supposed to do. backcombing just gave them a bit of a jump start. wash gently every couple of days and enjoy your pool:)

Sam4
@sam4
13 years ago
5 posts

What about how often I get them wet? Before, I would swim every other day for exercise purposes. Would this cause them to smell and such? If it does I have no problem getting a swim cap. I was just under the impression that I should prevent my dreads from being wet more than 1-3 times a week, if I can help it.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

you just need to make sure they dry completely before getting them wet again. if they're always wet then your prone to mold. since you have a salt water pool you won't have to worry aboutchlorinein your locs.

Sam4
@sam4
13 years ago
5 posts

Okay thanks! I feel so much more confident about growing these out now that I've taken a good look over this site. My hair was extremely curly before getting it backcombed (people always tagged me as a Slash look-alike), so I'm hoping that because of my natural texture my hair will dread up fairly quickly in comparison to others.

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

your so lucky. it will probably dread up fast. post some pics or start a timeline so we can all follow your journey:)

Sam Ralph said:

Okay thanks! I feel so much more confident about growing these out now that I've taken a good look over this site. My hair was extremely curly before getting it backcombed (people always tagged me as a Slash look-alike), so I'm hoping that because of my natural texture my hair will dread up fairly quickly in comparison to others.

Sam4
@sam4
13 years ago
5 posts
I'm taking weekly pictures so when they start making process I'll put some stuff up!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form