Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Salt Wash

Chris Marshall
@chris-marshall
13 years ago
10 posts

So, I've been conducting a bit of an experiment lately. I've been rather broke and literally don't have enough money to go buy a new spray bottle. I was using mine for thyme tea, but with as much as people complain about people smelling when they have dreads, smelling like the worlds most Italian pizza isn't on my to-do list. The sprayer got clogged and eventually the spray mechanism didn't work at all so I threw it out. Anyway. I was going to start doing a salt spray, but i thought one day while in the shower, why not create an artificial wash out of sea salt that resembles what it'd be like to swim in the ocean? So I did.

I put about an 8th cup of sea salt in a large glass (I'm sure this could be converted to pitcher measurements, but I only have one so I use what I have), with a few drops of lemon oil (3 to be exact) and filled it with rather warm water and poured it over my dry hair, waited a few minutes to let it soak in my hair and rinsed it all out with warm water. It's a fairly strong mix, so if the water is more transparent than not, you might have too weak a rinse. Now this might seem a tad redundant, the washing it out just a few (3-5 minutes later) but it actually works! At first I thought that my hair was just dreading fast on its own, but I'm almost certain that this is what is causing the crazy looping and dreading going on towards the middle and ends of my only ONE MONTH OLD tnr/bc dreads. So if you have significantly oily/thick hair that seems to unravel easy, join me in this experiment and see if it works for you. I'd love to see people getting the same results as I have.

NOTE: I only do this wash once a week, so let's consider that the standard for use. I don't want anyone's scalp or hair going through too much hell. It shouldn't be the case because of how nearly immediate it is meant to be washed out, but just being safe.

updated by @chris-marshall: 01/13/15 08:54:05PM
Dan B
@dan-b
13 years ago
58 posts
Well I'll be buggered he's right! Lol I ringed my hair and left it half hour though then washed it as normal. And it's looping up and matting up amazingly well.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

thats way way way too strong fot a large cup u should use a tablespoon no less i use a tablespoon per gallon

u should use a teaspoon or less

an 1/6 ofa cup is like 100 times too much or so..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts

I don't want to use salt on my hair, unless I swim in the ocean. Nothing against this idea, I think it's great to share what works for you. I just wanted to share that since I began washing with a baking soda wash, with tea tree oil, rosemary and lavendar, my hair has really picked up it's dreading pace. I think our hair thanks us for showing it the love. I finally got the recipe down for myself this week, used it twice now and just did my first acv rinse, and I am thrilled with the results. This will be the lowest maintenance, least expensive head of hair I have ever had. Not to mention it feels and smells amazing! Good luck with yours!

Dan B
@dan-b
13 years ago
58 posts
I made my mix the same strength as I use in my marine fish tanks. There are lots of other salts in sea water ands It is measured very accurately. But for this purpose it's about half a cup of sea salt per US Gallon. So it's not any worse than a dip in the ocean.To be fair it probably excessive and expensive. But worth a try and evidently effective if you can't just pop down the beach :-)

soaringeagle said:

thats way way way too strong fot a large cup u should use a tablespoon no less i use a tablespoon per gallon

u should use a teaspoon or less

an 1/6 ofa cup is like 100 times too much or so..

Faya god
@faya-god
13 years ago
4 posts

Hmm, interesting. I think i will try, and let you know about the result ;-)

Crystal O.
@crystal-o
13 years ago
137 posts
Hahaha I change my mind so quickly, I made and used a sea salt spray tonight, very little salt though, so far so good. :)

Crystal O. said:

I don't want to use salt on my hair, unless I swim in the ocean. Nothing against this idea, I think it's great to share what works for you. I just wanted to share that since I began washing with a baking soda wash, with tea tree oil, rosemary and lavendar, my hair has really picked up it's dreading pace. I think our hair thanks us for showing it the love. I finally got the recipe down for myself this week, used it twice now and just did my first acv rinse, and I am thrilled with the results. This will be the lowest maintenance, least expensive head of hair I have ever had. Not to mention it feels and smells amazing! Good luck with yours!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form