Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

clean but loose

Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
so i washed my new dreads last night (around 3 months or so at this point, backcombed) and i woke up the next morning to find that alot of them really came unknotted on the bottom half of the dread. I used the same shampoo as always with no different teqnique or anything so im kinda confused as to why all ova sudden a bunch of em just turned back to unknotted, hair thats just in a bunch, that can definatly be easily ripped apart (not that im trying)Now unless im really unobservant and nothings changed and i just think it has, then well problem solved.But anyway, i want to know if its possible i used too much soap or scrubbed to hard or something? I just want to keep this from happening again, that is if it did happen in the first place x)I kinda freaked at first, but ive accepted it now and just want to know if theres anything I can do to avoid any further loss of progress.Thanks a bunch for the help!One love
updated by @johnny-barnas: 01/13/15 08:50:51PM
Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts
I hope that wasn't your first time washing...It is a common misconception that backcombing sections of hair means you magically have dreads. Don't worry, I thought of them that way too when I first backcombed. Think of it as kick starting the dreading process; You're telling your hair that THIS is where I want you to stay. But your hair is a little like a rebellious teen, it doesn't want to listen, so it decides to do its own thing (unravel). This is actually progress for your hair, it needs to loosen up so that it can re-knot itself back up.So whatever you do, DON'T RE-BACKCOMB! It will only restart the process. If you want to feel like you're doing something, sleep with a wool sweater over your pillow, or wear a wool tam, lots of people say this helps their hair lock up. I know how you feel, I'm right about three months as well and while my roots are locking up really great! The rest of my hair keeps knotting up and then unraveling a bit. Just enjoy the ride.<3
Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts
Also, make sure you're not going to bed with your hair wet. It will cause mold and such... Bad Idea.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I go to bed with my hair wet all the time... I don't have any mold...Don't re-backcomb, don't panicmy dreads get tighter and looser progressively and it's all part of the dreading process. at three months you really can't predict anything, you can only wait. If they got looser it may mean that they were too tight to knot before, so maybe they are just making more room for themselves.If in a year they are looser then they were at six months, you may be doing something strange. It's really a little early yo tell.If you are still not sure; what kind of shampoo do you use? something with oils may be conditioning your hair and making it more slippery. If you don't wash your hair enough it may be getting slippery with natural oils.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
how much came loose if 1-3 inches dont worry a bit if up to 6 its still fine but if its 8 or more it might be a prob worth watching..watching but not worrying

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dreadful Ry
@dreadful-ry
14 years ago
9 posts
Yes, make sure you use natural soap(shampoo).. with no other chemicals in it. Also it just takes time for your hair to lock up real good, be paitient..p.s. make sure you dry your hair real good before you go 2 bed, because just like with an old rag that gets left wet it will develope mold and a moldy smell..
Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
14 years ago
45 posts
thanks for all the advicee everyone!yea im not freaking out at all. just lettin the dreads do what they want. and either way its only one or two dreads that the body is mad loose on, the rest are just fine. every single root is locking up nice and the majority of them are doing just great!and yea i already do sleep with a wool tam on. i sleep with the dreads in the tam though, would it be a better idea to just sleep with the tam on my head rather than put the dreads in em?and i use a knotty boy dread soap (no i didnt use their shitty wax) any better soaps to reccomend?im open to anything so enlighten me!thanks again for the help and encouragement guys, means alot:)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form