Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

uugh, messed up my baby dreads!

tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
To make this short (and fit on this thread), I dyed my gray roots with a "natural" hair dye and completely messed up my beautiful baby 3.5 month old dreads. I had to comb out what was left and am going to start over. I'm excited to start over but when I look at my hair now, it is not nice like when I first started my other dreads. By nice I mean, not full of split ends (from combing out my old dreads) and an more even length throughout. I'm concerned that my hair will not dread up as nice as it was before. Any thoughts on this?? Does hair have to be a similar length all throughout to dread nicely OR can it be uneven (not quite layered but with all the breaks from combing out I think it looks shorter in spots where the breaks are). I learned my lesson for sure!!! Next time, I'm dyeing my roots/hair with tea/spices/coffee!! I wish I could take back my decision yesterday!!
updated by @tasha2: 01/13/15 08:43:15PM
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
AY don't fret over it too much, I'm not fond of even length dreads all the way around, be proud of the diversity in your dreads, it'll give em more character, make them more your own.And personally, I'd stop dyeing em all together, I can't wait to go gray cuz I think silver locks are sooo gorgeous lookin. But if you do still dye em, teas and spices and coffee are a great way to go.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh man or why dye at all the grey adds charachter ads wisdom i would love every grey and i got plentybut yea it will dread just fine the lengths wont matterbut how did the dye mess em up?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
14 years ago
66 posts
Don't worry about the length. My hair was different lengths through out and I personally think my locks look beautiful. And like was already said, it will give them character. Make them more unique to you.and who knows, you may love these ones even more than the last. And don't worry about the grey. It's distinguished and only adds to the beauty of the locksI wish you all of the luck in the world (:
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
It messed them up in this way: When rinsing/washing out the color, my head was upside down washing from back to front with my head in the sink. So, when I lifted up my head, b/w the dreads/knots and the drying aspect of the dye, my hair on one side became a big tangled ball...literally. Once I was able to separate this ball, the dreads that had been there had to be ripped apart from the other tangled mess and now there were knot balls within the dreads. Also, the dreads looked like someone pushed them up (like when you push seeds off of a stem or something). It really was not salvageable. BUT, I learned a huge lesson and am off to restart another set. I know I'm so vain regarding the greys, I don't know what it is. I guess, as I'm 43 I feel I have plenty of time later on for greys... FireChild said:
How did it mess them up? Was it because they were so young or was it the dye?
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it :) Alden said:
AY don't fret over it too much, I'm not fond of even length dreads all the way around, be proud of the diversity in your dreads, it'll give em more character, make them more your own.

And personally, I'd stop dyeing em all together, I can't wait to go gray cuz I think silver locks are sooo gorgeous lookin. But if you do still dye em, teas and spices and coffee are a great way to go.
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
Also, yes I did use the conditioner (I know, I know) to help get some of the tangled mess manageable and it did release some of the dreads on the back and the other side that was not a big ball... FireChild said:
How did it mess them up? Was it because they were so young or was it the dye?
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
SE, I know, I know...I am going to try to appreciate my greys coming in this next time but I still may at least give spices/coffee a try. soaringeagle said:
oh man or why dye at all the grey adds charachter ads wisdom i would love every grey and i got plenty

but yea it will dread just fine the lengths wont matter
but how did the dye mess em up?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
im 43 too and my beards been grey a long long time i dont care 1 bit i was hiappy to see my greys comming inon the other hand my mom found her 1st grey at 16..and that was the last time anyones ever seen her natural hair color 58 years later still dyes them every 3-4 weeks

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
tasha2
@tasha2
14 years ago
36 posts
Yes, I did think that after I already ruined them! I'm sure the shower experience would have been much different. I was planning it that way and for some reason, at the last minute, I decided to wash my hair out in the sink. oh well. I'm sure there was a reason for it happening this way. FireChild said:
The dye didn't mess up your hair the process of dying did.

Dying requires a lot of rinsing and you have to put some of the moisture back into the hair so it doesn't snap off. I'd be willing to bet you money that if you'd done it in the shower with slightly more mature dreads (so they can tolerate the conditioner) you would have had a much different experience.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form