Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thinking about shaving my head

Sami Ahmed
@sami-ahmed
14 years ago
23 posts
I've had dreadlocks for about 2 and half years. When I first got them twisted I had an afro and used all kinds of products in my hair. For about the last month I've been thinking about shaving my head and restarting them. What are some of your experiences with restarting them?
updated by @sami-ahmed: 02/05/18 06:59:55AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why not comb em out carefully to saver as much length as u can if u shave your looking at a long time growing before u can dread againu could also just try stripping away all the product buildup and get em more natural and save these dreadsbut whatever u choose you'll love your dreads more without products.i started mine over once and it was a depressing year without dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I have no experience restarting but I do have experience starting with practically nothing. It is a very good experience and personally, I think everyone should completely shave their head before dreading. It really is a nice experience but it is filled with some frustration and it does take a lot of patience. If you shave it, you won't have dreads for a year...Unless you're african american then you're lucky and you would have dreads in about half a year. But you still have to think, the dreads won't be long for five years..so just think about it first.
Sami Ahmed
@sami-ahmed
14 years ago
23 posts
There are a couple of reasons. My hair in the front has been thinning because so to much twisting/product use. I've really want to go through the process of locking again. I want my dreads to be more healthy/natural. Lisa McRae said:
I'll be restarting from a shaved head next month, why are you doing it?
Sami Ahmed
@sami-ahmed
14 years ago
23 posts
thanks for sharing your experience, its making me want to do it more. I'm black but my hair isnt really kinky, its more soft curly. GreyGargoyle said:
I have no experience restarting but I do have experience starting with practically nothing. It is a very good experience and personally, I think everyone should completely shave their head before dreading. It really is a nice experience but it is filled with some frustration and it does take a lot of patience. If you shave it, you won't have dreads for a year...Unless you're african american then you're lucky and you would have dreads in about half a year. But you still have to think, the dreads won't be long for five years..so just think about it first.
Sami Ahmed
@sami-ahmed
14 years ago
23 posts
the baking soda wash would remove all the product buildup right? soaringeagle said:
why not comb em out carefully to saver as much length as u can if u shave your looking at a long time growing before u can dread again

u could also just try stripping away all the product buildup and get em more natural and save these dreads
but whatever u choose you'll love your dreads more without products.

i started mine over once and it was a depressing year without dreads
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I have some soft curls that are trying to dread now and I'm almost at five months. The baking soda will help remove a lot of build up but you should do one of SE's deep cleanses. If you do shave it, you will surprised at what an amazing experience it is to dread from nothing. But at the same time you might become depressed since you have dreads now. Losing them might be upsetting. But just think it over, man. Lisa is starting over as well. Maybe you two should start over around the same time. It might be good for ya, think it through first! Sami Ahmed said:
thanks for sharing your experience, its making me want to do it more. I'm black but my hair isnt really kinky, its more soft curly.

GreyGargoyle said:
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form