Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads feel tight and hard what do I do?

cordova
@cordova
3 years ago
7 posts

I started my dreads being totally uneducated in the knowledge of how damaging it was to crochet them. I have since stopped and have done nothing but wash them and let them be. I am absolutely in love with this crazy, loopy, lumpy, with the fuzzy frizzy loose hair. I adore everything that's happening and am learning some very valuable life lessons along the way. However my question is I have some really tight dreads. Some of them are so zigzagged that feel hard. None of them are tight at the root which I hope is a good thing. My question is should I be using the liquid tightening shampoo or should I be using the bar? I use and have only used the shampoo that's highly recommend on this site. I'm just concerned that the tightening shampoo is making them too tight.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

Crochet makes them too tight so I usualy recommend the bars till they loosen then the liquid

the Zigzagging ones already loosened enough to loop

oh

how Old are they? In general once fairly mature you can switch to bars

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
cordova
@cordova
3 years ago
7 posts
Thank you :) they are about 3 months old now. They just keep getting more and more loops and getting tighter with every wash. I will switch the the bar soap for awhile. Thank you so much. I love this site, I have learned so much. I wish I would have found this before I fell victim to the crochet method. But hey, you live and learn
cordova
@cordova
3 years ago
7 posts
So... I have another question about the tightness of my dreads. I've learned through this site that all you need to do is wash and separate and let them alone. However my questions is some of my dreads are not only tight but they feel like they are spiraling with a few really hard spots. I'm new to all of this and I saw that when they are wet you can kind of pull on them to help loosen the tightness. I'm afraid they are going to keep spiraling and basically break off. Any input would be amazing.:)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

Show me what you mean

but often with crochet dreads you should lightly condition other spot condition the hard spots with coconut or jojoba type oils

--
cordova
@cordova
3 years ago
7 posts
I tried to get the best pictures I could. Also where do I find a good jojoba oil?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

Wow for dreads started with crochet they are amazing and the absolute 1st I couldn’t tell at 1st glance

--
cordova
@cordova
3 years ago
7 posts
Well that makes me extremely happy seeing that I'm new to this and just starting my journey. I've learned so much from this site and from the experience so far.. I have never been the type of person who just let's things take their own course. I've struggled to just let things go and just be. I'm only about 3 months in to this journey and I don't say journey lightly. I've always gone to the beat of my own drum but it's always been a very intense beat. Having started my dreads things have really changed. I'm learning to relax about things but I'm still new and learning and the lumps and loops are so tight and they feel like they are going to strangle themselves and fall off. I'll try the oil you suggested. Now do I put that directly on the dreads that are tight and for how long or?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

I see no sign of them falling off. When you pinch one can you pinch one is it too hard to pinch in like 1/4 of the way 

do they feel excessively dry?

--
cordova
@cordova
3 years ago
7 posts
I can pinch in some spots but some spots don't give at all. Some spots feel really hard like the hair is wrapped too tight. As far as dry ehh not too much but it's very possible seeing that I've dyed my hair constantly before starting my dreads. Now the beautiful grey hair is popping out everywhere but so be it. So they could very well be dry
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form