Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet recovery experiences

jamie tuckey
@jamie-tuckey
12 years ago
2 posts

thanks for replying so quickly, i like my dreads they are coming a long nice, most of it is going natiral and loopy but im tempted to take em all out and start over, but then again i dont want to look like i cba brushing my hair because it will look like messy hair for months, i dont know what to do

soaring eagle said:

much longer now crochet backfires causing more loose hairs and makes them too tight to dread so usualy takes 6 months longer ..or more

but if your getting loops thats a good sign

updated by @jamie-tuckey: 07/22/15 11:49:35PM
Luke Stanton
@luke-stanton
12 years ago
61 posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/LukesDreads?feature=mhee
that is my youtube account where you can see my dreads go from crocheted to a very natural look after i stopped. i will answer the questions above as i am too tired to night but if you go through my videos you can see my dreads go from very spikey and standing up to very relaxed locs

n00dles
@n00dles
11 years ago
20 posts

I crocheted them only once at the time they were born.Left damage wasnt so bad beacuse i had short hair like 2 inches after actual dreads. First 2 weeks were really awkward sore,itchy,stiff,sticking out damn you antennas:D

1 month still hard but felt better

2 months to 4 monts getting loose

5 months beginning of all amazing things at the roots (loops,zig zags)..2 inches of crocheted part still kind of stiff but only a little.Started locking here and there

6 months my favourite stage.initial recovery.stiff is gone.they looked not like dreads nor regular hair.loved that.

7 months started to tightening againg.only about half of my sections were locked at the roots.

8 months completely different look.soooo lose.roots are ok but tips are unraveling.I was like where is my progress gone??Worst mess that i have experienced

9 months tightening again

10 -11 months (current stage) everything is locked and tight.on few dreads you can still see the crochet part because its cylinder thing and my natural growth is squiggle and flat.

ok thats it.lets see what future brings.happy recovery!:)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wow so u experienced the loosest at 8-9 months instead of 1-3

and toolk almost a year to see most signs of crochet gone?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
n00dles
@n00dles
11 years ago
20 posts

i wouldnt compare these two stages because it was two different types (texture,look,feel etc) but yeah at 8months+- they were extra loose.at 6 months they were pretty much healthy for me.sure actual dreading of whole body took longer but at 6 months i would say most of the crochet signs were gone.check out my photos here is you are interested SE

soaring eagle said:

wow so u experienced the loosest at 8-9 months instead of 1-3

and toolk almost a year to see most signs of crochet gone?

Tina Mother's Milk
@tina-mothers-milk
11 years ago
8 posts

I originally started with a loctition (which I do regret). I am in week 12 now. I hated my hair at first because there was so much scalp showing and little locks of twisted / wrapped hair in between. She used a crochet hook a little and took a strip of hair and wrapped it around the shaft. Lots of knots, trying to un-do some of the dreads that were too big but I can't seem to do it.

By week three, my hair was a little fuzzy and filled in, but still lots of scalp showing. The roots were loose.

By 1.5 months, my scalp began to fill in, my hair was frizzy, the locks in the back were locking up fast, curling, looping, bending and zig-zagging all crazy ways, and looping. The ends were sucked into the dreads. Every day I had to rip my roots apart. They all wanted to get married.

By two months, My scalp barely showed, I had about 3" of new growth, though my hair a LOT got shorter, and I also noticed the roots getting dreaded all by themselves. The locktition told me not to go more than 2.5 months, but I decided I didn't need to do any maintenance.

Now, week 12, my locks are much thicker, the roots on all of them have locked all by themselves, and I am sorry I used a locktition. My hair would have dreaded all by itself quickly.

I am now in the process of breaking down some of them that were too big into three's. I was only able to un-do two of them. My tnr dreads with no crochet look better than the locktition and began to dread / curl right away. I have pics posted of progress of the original dreads. My mom is going to come over tomorrow and see if she can help me un-do a couple more in the back..

Good luck!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well sounds like your recocering faster then usual at least

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus