Dreadlocks Forums

How To Make Dreads Neat Without Crochet Hook

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

laying on them tightens them

i toss em over the headboard or lay em on the pillow next to me

if i dont have a pillow (while camping) they make a great pillow for 4..5 if we cuddle real close

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/23/15 07:20:31AM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

haha i cant wait till i get to that point. gonna have to though ;)

Kaila Gareau Kangas
@kaila-gareau-kangas
13 years ago
8 posts

They lay against the back of my neck because I cover them up they stay put. try cutting a sleeve off a shirt or wrap them with a scarf. I put my all to the back because I sleep on my side but you could put them at the side,too. I find if I leave them loose they are super fuzzy in the morning.

I understand the need to keep them neat. : )

ManOfBliss said:

Kaila,

Where do you put your dreads when sleeping, off to the side?

ManOfBliss
@manofbliss
13 years ago
23 posts

@ Seagle: your comment on you and 4 or 5 people using your dreads as a pillow just made me SO HAPPY.

@ Kaila: not to belabor the point, but I'm actually going to do this! So you chop a sleeve off, and wear it like a head band? This keeps it together and reduces frictional fuzz?

Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts

It's my firmly held belief that if you want super neat cylindrical dreads you should palm roll them everyday. That's just from personal experience, I palmrolled a few of my dreads everyday and those are my tightest, neatest, most cylindrical dreads, but by no means are they my favorite, I really like them but I love the natural variances in all the rest of my dreads (I only palmrolled like 3 dreads everyday kind of as an experiment)

baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts

why do you think you have an image to uphold?

ManOfBliss said:

Kaila,

Where do you put your dreads when sleeping, off to the side? Or up over the pillow behind you? I've been just scooping mine up with my hands is laying them up over the pillow.

I really want to avoid loosening up the knots of the dreads at the roots.

I realize that dreadlocks are supposed to be like a chill growth process, but I do have to provide some guidance here, as I have a so-called "image" to uphold.

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

I don't want to jump to conclusions, or offend him by any means, his case could be TOTALLY different! That being said, I know where he's coming from. Before I had dreads I was extremely self conscious, I never really thought that I cared what others thought about me, but I did more than I realized. I'm not sure if it was so much about what I thought about me, or what others did, but when I first got my dreads (first set a few years ago) I was self conscious about them. I'd hide them away under a bandana, or hood, and never wore them out. If I didn't have either of those things I had them in a bun or pony tail. I re-dreaded back in July, and I've never felt such a release, to just stop caring about what my hair was doing that day, and that I didn't have to sraighten/curl it. It was hard at first, but dreading my hair has been extremely therapeutic.. My dreads have taught me patience, and how to just let things go they way they are meant to! I don't think you could have the spiritual part of dreading (which i used to think was a bunch of hippy crap) unless you allow yourself to. Maybe he's just not ready for his journey. Before someone goes through their journey, they don't really understand all the things dreads can do for them, they kind of fit their needs so to speak, and work with you.

baby britt said:

why do you think you have an image to uphold?

ManOfBliss said:

Kaila,

Where do you put your dreads when sleeping, off to the side? Or up over the pillow behind you? I've been just scooping mine up with my hands is laying them up over the pillow.

I really want to avoid loosening up the knots of the dreads at the roots.

I realize that dreadlocks are supposed to be like a chill growth process, but I do have to provide some guidance here, as I have a so-called "image" to uphold.

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

I know when I wear a Tam to bed my hair is drastically less frizzy in the morning, so if I have somewhere to go that I need to look "well" for I usually do that, also awhile back there was a post on using a towel on top of you head and to reduce frizz, it helps too tho only temporary, you throw a towel on your head and run you fingers down your head on top of the towel (NOT moving the towel just your hands/fingers) aloe also works to tame down frizz but not so good in the beginning stages cause it is a conditioner, good luck in your journey!

ManOfBliss
@manofbliss
13 years ago
23 posts

@Gabe McCoy: Thank you for the suggestion. I just palm rolled my dreadlocks for the first time ever, and they look and FEEL significantly tighter, and have cut down on the frizziness by at least 70%.

@baby britt: I'm a professional author and speaker, and I'll be taking promotional photos soon. I want to look hot, rather than like a homeless man. (Personal taste)

@Nichole Currier: Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I can understand what that may have been like for you being insecure. Although that's really not at all my experience. :)

I've been really happy and proud to sport my dreadlocks since day one. I've always had an inordinate amount of cockiness in my spirit. (I was just a little put off by the excessive frizz)

@Shanxon Lemasters: Thank you, bud. :)

Jade Barrett
@jade-barrett
12 years ago
1 posts

Maybe for your pictures, assuming that your hair is pretty long, you could corn row them back? That's what I do whenever I have to work. It makes them look a little more "professional".

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form