Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Newbie, Questions Included!

Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
11 years ago
40 posts

So, a couple years ago I had done some reading into the idealism behind dreadlocks in various cultures and religions. I was intrigued and also thought they were cool looking and had decided to grow my hair out.

Long story short, I had to cut and shave for a job, never having gotten around to putting dreads in.(Or having the knowledge to do so, however you look at it) Anyways, I have since broken free from the mind control of modern society and began to "Do Me" again.

I have some questions about the natural method of locking.

In general, is it possible to form smaller 'cleaner' nice looking dreads through natural methods? If so, how much more/less complicated are they to keep and maintain?

I deleted most of this post to make less reading, and I expect to get flamed when I say this. :-/ (Sorry trying to make it shorter and easier to understand, I have no personal issue with any style of dreads or hair, but I think certain ones would look horrible on me, and not fit my personality.)

But when I look at some of the "TimeLines" on here. That is exactly what I do NOT want my hair to look like. I guess I would not mind it temporarily some of them seem to be over a year + in to the natural process and they still have hair that hardy really resembles dreadlocks, looks more just like dirty unwashed curly hair.

Will these peoples hair eventually look good, or always just nappy/oily/curly? Do they choose to keep it that way?

My hair is only 2-3 inches right now, contemplating the natural method vs. some that people do not seem to like.

Basically I do not want to have the "Side Show Bob" style dreads that are random sizes and places. Is it possible to section/maintain natural dreads!?

I know this sounds cliche, but I am using it for convenience. Can get "Lions Mane" style dreads starting from natural? Or will I be forced to have "Hobo Rockstar" dreads?

Also, I have rather straight & thick hair. How bad would it be to start using interlocking, and then cut the interlock parts off once developed. Would that be a better way to maintain size/shape?

updated by @rude-bwoy: 01/13/15 09:52:33PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well uniform straight smooth is way overrated and u will miss not having more natural dreads if u do that

many think they want that starting out then start over naturaly

u can control size bu=y seperation

heres mine at 18 years

ive had salon dreads ask "howed u get them so neat and uniform" and..they arent at all the smallest is literaly the size of the letter l on yoir screen and thats 3 dreads combined the thickest was a quarter sixe (in this photo) then there were a hundred or so pencil size

onky 3 thick

since then let most congo into much thicker at roots with up to 6 thin tails

(24 year photos coming soon)

so early on i seperated alot to keep em thin

now u i almost never do last 5 years so they got fattyer

thats all there is to it

early in they are suposed to be loopy lumpyu and wild

they straighten and smooth oyut on thier own ocer tu=ime

sideshow bob looks from backcombing so they stick out all over

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
11 years ago
40 posts

I see, thanks for the reply.

I was just posting to you in one of your other threads that 99% of the information I took from the internet on this topic that I considered to be valid all came from post YOU made on these forums.

Also, I like the way your dreads look, they look semi maintained and reasonable, a good medium which Is what I wanted. I just didn't want to be forced to have a certain thickness or style.

Your dreads look really good, long natural, and none really seem 'out of place' good to know you can kind of separate them as they grow naturally. I really just want to be able to keep them from getting overly thick or all dreading together.

Perfection, or them all being the exact same size is not really a goal. But I want to still feel like I have hair that flows and moves instead of just a giant ball on my head...If that makes sense.

I guess it will take awhile before I have anything to show since my hair is only a couple inches. Guess the best way to go is just leave it alone. I suppose its long enough now not to brush anymore and we will see what happens.

During daily showering through out the process, do you avoid getting the hair wet all together, or is it only important not to comb/use products?

Also, can you pull thick dreads apart in to thinner dreads? Or do you just have to keep them from dreading together?

Probably a stupid question. x.x

Will possibly try to take pics to upload of the process for future newb's who are contemplating natural vs. other methods.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u xan shower every other every 3 days theres no reason to keep it druy till u got dreads when dreaded tho daily wettings will lead to mold

--
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Its easier to prevent thick dreads than it is to make one into smaller ones. While dreads are forming they are easily pulled apart, so there is nothing for you to worry about as long as you separate weekly.

There are loads of examples of hair by all methods, but you should upload your pics, nonetheless. It's great to look back over the months and see how you've progressed.

Natural dreads look more, well, natural. They will flow fine and you may well end up with the look you have in mind (lions mane), but there is no guarantee, no matter what method you use.

I went natural, on this set, 10 months ago, from only 3-4 inches. Have a look at my page and you can see the progress.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

leave it that way day adfter day and it dreads no matter how u start dreads arent dreads instantly and take at least a year to get mature

it will go by so fast

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form