dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Interlocking and root rubbing rant

Barry Scott
@barry-scott
11 years ago
3 posts

Hello

I have thin dreads, with the roots that are/had been really long i was rubbing andsparinglyinterlocking (Just one flip). Not noticed any thinning until this last 5 weeks, now have lost 3 little fellers when tying up for work. Not with a 'bald' spotunderneath but healthy hair about half of the length of the dread. Think this must have been caused by the hair breaking insidejust gently ripped an inch knot near the root and and plaited the rest. Don't flame me for breaking the 'natural' rules I have learnt hands on, left the roots well alone and wash with ACV/BCSrinsesonce a week (Thanks SE for the boiled water tip).

I would really like to know if other people here have moved into the healing process from interlocking? Is it normal to loose a couple of dreads in this time? Its almost as if when you interlock the only way to stop them getting loose is to interlock again, this strains your scalp and ends up with the lock getting progressively thinner. So it seems much like crocheting its the sameinevitabledecline into an unhappy dread. I had not lost any until i have stopped messing and now they seem to reject because of this damage. One good thing is the dread that takes its place will be much healthier. Mostly the interlocked dreads are healing by them selves and looping up, without falling out.

It would be really good to hear others stories on this subject.

Peace

updated by @barry-scott: 01/13/15 09:52:11PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

No one will flame you for it. We're just glad you learned the damages. It's a shame it had to be hands on. But I learned hands on too. I had a few locks that had a number of weak spots when I first started. So I tied a knot in them, thinking it would thicken the lock up. That was about 5-6 years ago. A few months back, I washed my locks and a piece just snapped off where a knot was. It happens.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/never-tie-knots-in-or-interlock-your-hair

Sorry it happened to you, but you're right, the new ones that grow in will be so much stronger.

I love to help people because I've done pretty much everything you can do to locks except crocheting and latch hooking. I started some of mine with back combing and TnR. I let some grow naturally. I used bands for a few weeks. I interlocked a few. I palm rolled for the first 2 weeks. My first set was waxed, and then rotted off my scalp.

So I know, first hand, what the damages those different methods cause. We all need to experience our own mistakes. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just a learning experience

Barry Scott
@barry-scott
11 years ago
3 posts

Woah man, that's some serious learning curve. on further inspection seems like a loop tries to form then the hair just escapes. In effect its split some in half, with a thinner dread right besides it. 2 weeks ago i poked one back into the others root and it made a good section. Now its looping up and making a mini congo :) No more rubbing no more interlocking.

How are you doing now Babs?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

They seem fine. I still have a few knots in 2 of my locks that will more than likely snap off in the next few years. And the locks that I palm rolled probably won't last another 5-10 years. But I'm also going bald, and those locks are near the hairline where I'm balding quicker. So they probably wouldn't last much longer anyway.

Other than that, the ones that I only TnRed and grew naturally are all healthy and strong

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form