Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twist & Rip future care?

ZiggityZack
@ziggityzack
11 years ago
10 posts

Hello, I T&R'd my hair like a week ago and already they are looking crappier than they were at the beginning but I hear thats normal. I have a couple questions.

Im noticing that some of my dreads are much tighter than the others or should I say some of them are pretty loose feeling. Should I re-dread those tighter since my journey is only a week old?

I have straight, fine hair. How the heck do the dreadlocks grow? It would seem to me that my hair will just grow straight and I will just have this 2 inch lock at the end? What is the science behind this? Or do I have to keep backcombing monthly now whats between my dread and the root or does it do it naturally?

I know the second question was kind of confusing but I have my doubts but I want this to work so bad. All of you have pretty great feedback so I was hoping to get some help with this. Thanks!!!

updated by @ziggityzack: 01/13/15 09:51:34PM
ZiggityZack
@ziggityzack
11 years ago
10 posts

Will they dread by themselves though? My hair does not naturally dread. Maybe if I never washed and rubbed circles in my head 24/7 it might. Right now my hair is like 4 inches long. There is about an inch at the root, 2 inches of dread and an inch at the ends of just hair. Will I eventually have 3 inches dreaded, then 4, then 5, etc.........?

What does Sea Salt do for dreads and where can I get some of that?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Don't retwist, don't backcomb every month, you will set back your journey each time you do this...All hair will dread, it just takes patience....Wash every 2-3 days, clean hair dreads, dirty hair does not, so no, you don't have to stop washing your hair....You are only 2 weeks in...dreads take time...so don't worry about a thing...Yes you sections will loosen and some may fall completely out...part of the process to form mature dreads....Roots need to be loose to do its thing, they will tighten up once mature and only be about an inch loose then...hair usually likes to dread at 6 inches, you have two more inches to go,,,but that's okay, you hair may just take a little longer....You gotta sit back and enjoy the crazy times ahead, it really is a blast and opens up the soul....enjoy your journey....Peace

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Your root hairs tangle with themselves, other loose hairs, and other new growth. That's why it's important to NEVER try to tighten your roots yourself. The straight hair doesn't knot with the hair at the tips of your locks. You're right about that. It just tangles with he hair nearby, creating new knots and loops. Think of it like a string. Tie a knot at 1 end. Now, you don't need that end of the string to tie knots all the way up the rest of it.

If roots didn't knot on their own, I'd have 4-5 inches of locked hair, and 3 feet of straight hair, instead of 18 inches of locks. Eagle would have 5 inches of locked hair and ~20 feet of straight hair. Baby locks should have about 1-3 inches of straight hair at the root. This lasts for about a year. But as they mature, the roots start to tighten, and mature locks have between 1/4 - 1 inch of straight root hair.

Don't worry about the few locks that are looser than the others. Locks don't form at the same rate. If you sleep on 1 side consistently, lock form faster on that side of your head. There are 1001 factors that go into how locks progress. Reback combing, or reTnRing them will only serve to reset your progress to day 1, and take that much longer to mature.

ZiggityZack
@ziggityzack
11 years ago
10 posts

Great feedback. Thanks guys. If I think of anything else I know where to go!!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form