Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Yet another drying question..

Mikhail Ceballo
@mikhail-ceballo
11 years ago
20 posts
The background is I've been going freeform/neglect for about 5 weeks now. Im still in a neck brace and air drying can be frustrating as its hard to stop the cushions in the brace from staying dry and they retain water FOREVER lol. One of my friends who has dreadlocks says he squeezes his with a towel and then lets them air dry. My first question is: Is squeeze drying some hair ok? i know they say towel drying is bad but i don't see how just squeezing could be bad. If thats not okay i guess i could use my girls blow dryer. I usually just use it as an alien blaster ray gun so needless to say i have no experience with hair dryers =p Second question: Are hair dryers ok, and if so hot or cold air? Any responses are greatly appreciated, Namaste~
updated by @mikhail-ceballo: 01/13/15 09:49:37PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

If you have thinner locks, you can squeeze them, but don't wring them out like you are wring out a towel. Wrap a towel around a few locks, and squeeze excess water out. Then get a dry part of the towel and do it to another few locks. Continue until they are all squeezed.

You can use a dryer in short bursts on the cold setting. Hot will only cause heat damage to your hair. Even prolonged cold hair can fry your hair. If you dryer has an ionizer setting, turn it off. For health reasons, and to aid drying.

What I have found to work well, is to lean forward and drape the towel over your head so that your hair is hanging in front of you, and the towel is too. It'll act like a backdrop. Use the blow dryer and constantly move it around blowing against your hair. With the towel trapping the air, it'll help spread out the moving air evenly. It's help me a whole lot with drying a bit faster. But don't do this for more than a few minutes at a time.

Mikhail Ceballo
@mikhail-ceballo
11 years ago
20 posts

Thanks man! that helps a lot. And hopefully this won't be a problem much longer anyways, i should be out of this collar soon.. goin on over three months now so lol. Thanks again.

Baba Fats said:

If you have thinner locks, you can squeeze them, but don't wring them out like you are wring out a towel. Wrap a towel around a few locks, and squeeze excess water out. Then get a dry part of the towel and do it to another few locks. Continue until they are all squeezed.

You can use a dryer in short bursts on the cold setting. Hot will only cause heat damage to your hair. Even prolonged cold hair can fry your hair. If you dryer has an ionizer setting, turn it off. For health reasons, and to aid drying.

What I have found to work well, is to lean forward and drape the towel over your head so that your hair is hanging in front of you, and the towel is too. It'll act like a backdrop. Use the blow dryer and constantly move it around blowing against your hair. With the towel trapping the air, it'll help spread out the moving air evenly. It's help me a whole lot with drying a bit faster. But don't do this for more than a few minutes at a time.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Here is another tip for you. Purchase a couple of micro fiber towels, like a Shamwow ( one place to find them is auto sections in stores) These will reduce your drying time so much. Use one to absorb the excess water from your hair, it will suck up so much, and use the other one to put on top of your neck brace/under your hair...this will absorb the water still coming out.

Still use a towel too. Here is a tip for a towel. Dreads love lint, can't avoid it, so use a towel the same color as your hair so that the unavoidable towel lint won't be as noticed.

Here's to a speedy recovery...Peace

Mikhail Ceballo
@mikhail-ceballo
11 years ago
20 posts

Im pretty sure thats a brilliant idea. Shamwow's got a new advertising gig now. Thanks for the advice =]

the Barrellady said:

Here is another tip for you. Purchase a couple of micro fiber towels, like a Shamwow ( one place to find them is auto sections in stores) These will reduce your drying time so much. Use one to absorb the excess water from your hair, it will suck up so much, and use the other one to put on top of your neck brace/under your hair...this will absorb the water still coming out.

Still use a towel too. Here is a tip for a towel. Dreads love lint, can't avoid it, so use a towel the same color as your hair so that the unavoidable towel lint won't be as noticed.

Here's to a speedy recovery...Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form