Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Extensions, oils, etc.

Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

I have a few questions :) I have recently got dreadlocks again after a year of not having them. This time, I want to do everything right, no more screwing up! :)

So, first of all, I have pretty short hair, so I've dreaded my own hair and braided in dreads extensions on the bottom of my own dreads. I've heard different opinions about this, some says its bad for baby dreads because its adding too much weight, others says its okay. So I wonder what your throughts are about it? They are not permanently attach, only braided in with some string (the way some braid in their synthetic dreads, only at the tips and not at the roots).

Second, I've heard some people use pure, natural lemon juice on their newborn dreads to make them lock up better. Is it okay to do this, and does it even work?

Thrid, is it okay to put oils on the dreads, like good smelling oils you can buy at hair salons?

And last, how soon would you recommend me to permanently attach the extensions?

All opinions/thoughts/answers highly appreciated! :)

updated by @steenvick: 01/13/15 09:47:01PM
melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
I've heard lemon juice isn't good for dreads, it eats away at something or other in your hair. Yes you can use ESSENTIAL OILS not say olive oil products morracian oil nothing you'd find at a salon would be good.. go to your local health store and pick out your favorite 100% pure essential oil. Nag champa peppermint tea tree. Rosemary (which all have positive effects on your hair/body) to name a few.As for the extentions, I don't know much about them. I don't like them but some do.Good luck and welcome!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dont bother with extention s you'll hate em they will feel like dewd weight no attachment to them and yea they should have established dreads to attach to so id just take em out and leave em out

no lemon juice!

lemon juice soaks into the inner layer of the hair shaft and breaks it down..kinda dissolving it from the u-inside

lemon juice acts klke a bleach and destroys the pigmentation but it also attacks the protein bonds too breaking them down

(panterra can give a better exoplanation)

oils essential ouils are fine and used as a medicine for conditions like dandruff but are extremely strong..and smell nice

a yummy dread shampoo like www.dreadlockshampoo.com will keep u smelling awesome all week

scent oils are too oily too thick i wouldnt use em

how did u start them thi time..and last

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
You can also spray a mixture of sea salt and water in your hair one hour before washing, it promotes locking:]
Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

I used a combination of twist and rip and backcombing :)

soaring eagle said:

dont bother with extention s you'll hate em they will feel like dewd weight no attachment to them and yea they should have established dreads to attach to so id just take em out and leave em out

no lemon juice!

lemon juice soaks into the inner layer of the hair shaft and breaks it down..kinda dissolving it from the u-inside

lemon juice acts klke a bleach and destroys the pigmentation but it also attacks the protein bonds too breaking them down

(panterra can give a better exoplanation)

oils essential ouils are fine and used as a medicine for conditions like dandruff but are extremely strong..and smell nice

a yummy dread shampoo like www.dreadlockshampoo.com will keep u smelling awesome all week

scent oils are too oily too thick i wouldnt use em

how did u start them thi time..and last

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form