dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

caring for large dreadlocks

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Hello brothers and sisters.

I am planning on allowing my dreads to congo into quite large dreadlocks. I am growing surrendered backcombed, most fell out and re-sectioned. I have at the moment less than twenty dreads, with lots of loose hair, that will either make little ones or join into existing dreads. I have had large dreads in the past, I then finished with eight in total. It was a little uncomfortable, but nothing really, only a bit to sleep. I believe now that that is a small price to pay for the dreadlocks I want/must grow. I believe that it is my destiny and no longer my choice, it is just how it is. A friend commented recently that my baby locks look exactly how my last dreads looked at the beginning, makes sense, it is the same head after all. My smallest dreads now would be one inch, my largest would be three inches, I have two dreads across the nape of my neck. Constant separating did not work for me, whether it is a lack of understanding or a subconscious effort to grow large dreads I do not know. I cant seem to get a decent photo, because they have shrunk up so short, I will try though when Meagan gets home from work. I have had an inner battle recently because of the constant reminders from this beautiful community, I love you all by the way, to separate to one inch maximum, I felt awkward inwardly that I wasn't doing that. I have now realized our dreads must be natural for our personality, for me, large is normal. I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject. Love and peace to you all.

Now, caring for these babies, already they take all day to dry. No problem, especially in Australia summer. I can wash every other day if I want, but even once or twice a week is clean hair.I wash more now than my partner, she has long straight hair, very clean by the way. I have rosemary and peppermint oil if I get dandruff or itchy. I can deep clean with BS/ACV (although that gives me dandruff) when I want to. I can use white vinegar if I need to. Swim in the ocean for more deep cleaning, then shampoo, or BS/ACV. Basically I don't think there is anything to fear with the larger ones. I have seen alot of people with large dreads, absolutely nothing to fear.

Does anyone forsee any problems that I am not considering?

Peace and love and blessings

updated by @tim5: 02/14/15 08:24:56AM
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

i think the only issue would be washing. you want to be sure you can get your fingers under the roots of your locs to scrub your scalp. i've been battling with some very insistent congos in the making lately. i'm about to give in to a few of them because i'm just so sick of ripping them apart. i do have a few congos that started early on and they're about 2 inches across and they're actually my favorites. i did the neglect/freeform method so all of my dreads are different shapes and sizes. i think you'll be fine.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Greetings from Canada. Previously having large congos, you know of the drying time and the weight. Personally, I love the looks. Your head wants a party with limited guests, so party on. Let us all see what they are like again when you are done.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I don't think I can really get my fingers under any of my dreads without forcing them, I seem to dread right up to the scalp, nearly anyway.

How many people do this? I've never done it, I just try and touch the scalp around the dreads if i can. Not in ten years did I do that. I couldn't. Or could I? Should I force my fingers under there?

peace. Thankyou Heather for the response. Oh, and for worrying me :) lol.

Heather said:

i think the only issue would be washing. you want to be sure you can get your fingers under the roots of your locs to scrub your scalp. i've been battling with some very insistent congos in the making lately. i'm about to give in to a few of them because i'm just so sick of ripping them apart. i do have a few congos that started early on and they're about 2 inches across and they're actually my favorites. i did the neglect/freeform method so all of my dreads are different shapes and sizes. i think you'll be fine.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

love and blessings. Its a small party with alot of big dudes. :) hehe.

the Barrellady said:

Greetings from Canada. Previously having large congos, you know of the drying time and the weight. Personally, I love the looks. Your head wants a party with limited guests, so party on. Let us all see what they are like again when you are done.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Hey Enacra. Where in Oz are you? I'm in south Oz. Near adelaide. I think because I had big ones already I know it is right for me. As you get along you'll get a feel for it. My old ones were freeform, before I even knew there was a word for it. I washed with normal shampoo, I actually started them with shampoo/conditioner, called Pert, what rubbish, they still locked up good, they would have been full of residue etc, otherwise they were fine, move them out of the way to sleep, tam at the day, no worries. The old Rastafari I have seen photos of didn't separate, they loved their dreads, that is enough, love them. I love dreads, they are perfect. I started these ones, only through a lack of knowledge, certainly not through a lack of feeling, it feels the same as last time.

peace brother.

Enacra Oel said:

Hey Tim I'm Aussie too :)

If you pull off some massive dreadies again I might let a few of mine go that way. I saw a photo of your old ones, looked awesome!! I guess caring for them is the only real issue. Right now I have over 40 baby locks coming up, kinda apprehensive about letting them get too big yet, this is my first set of dreads. Freeform neglect method

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I would love to have 8 massive ones. At the moment I have 17 fat ones.

As long as you can make sure that you get all of the soap/BS out of your hair, and that they dry completely, you should be fine. Mine aren't SUPER fat. But a few of them are much bigger than others. It takes me about 24 hours to dry.

Be careful. But I don't see many problems as long as they stay clean, and if the heat is like you say, you shouldn't have anything to worry about

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
I think as long as you have an understanding of what wrong for them entails, you'll be fine. You've had them before, now you know how to care for them properly. They're your dreads, do with them as you feel you should. You should never feel awkward about what you're drawn to. I've seen the pics of your previous set and they were amazing. Your set now is amazing. Rock those fattie locks!!!
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Caring, now wrong. Damn.
melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
I've always admired/wanted large locs, I have about 25 babies that are already pretty big. Can't wait for them to grow bigger! I bet yours will look great :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form