Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Dreads for Oily Hair?

Meg J
@meg-j
11 years ago
1 posts

Hey! Here's my situation: I backcombed a few dreads in the back of my head a week ago and put wax on them (I now realize that was a mistake). For now, I don't want to deal with taking them out, so I've ordered some Wax-B-Gone and plan on using that to get the remaining wax out. I washed my hair 2 nights ago with baking soda, vinegar, and then when that didn't get much of the wax out, I used Dawn dishwashing soap. That removed a good bit of it (that I can tell), but I still plan on using the Wax-B-Gone when it arrives in the mail.

After reading about several people's dread journeys and how happy they are with their natural dreads, I've decided to try that route. So ever since the baking soda/vinegar/Dawn wash I haven't done anything to my hair. The problem is that I look like I haven't showered in a whiiiiile because my hair gets oily pretty quickly. Typically day 2 without showering I'll just throw it up in a ponytail, but since I can't do that (right?) I left it down and messy. It wasn't too terrible for just going to class, and I understand that my hair is going to look a little messy throughout this process and I could care less about that, but messy and gross are two different things. If I were to go to work with my hair looking dirty like this idk how well that would go over with my managers. And this is only day 2...I'm not sure if I can leave my hair down like this all day tomorrow until my scheduled washing tomorrow night.

So, I was wondering if there is any advice or instruction that anyone might have for what I can do to manage my oily hair. I also thought that dirty hair doesn't dread anyways...so I don't know if waiting to wash it is doing me any good or not. I put a bandana on earlier to try and keep it out of my face, and I've looked into getting a tam as well, but is trying to cover it up the only thing I can do? Any advice is appreciated!

updated by @meg-j: 01/13/15 09:43:44PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well use baking soda no acv (forawhile) wash every 2 days with baking soda then after a week or 2 extend to 3 days then after a week or 2 extend to 4

when u strip oils every day you make it produce more oils also oily hairs too acidic so use baking soda to make it less acidic then when your less oily start slowly using a very weak acv

thyme tea sprayed on the scalp can help make u less oily too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Melony
@melony
11 years ago
45 posts

I just bought a pack of hair bands that are meant for thick hair (they're bigger then the regular size)
and when I want to put my hair back I just put the elastic all the way around my hair once and thats it. For me it stays put all day.
Ioccasionallywear my hair up in a bun or a tighter pony, but it tends to feel too heavy for my scalp and its uncomfortable.

My hair is pretty oily, I wash every other day. I recently bought dreadlocksshampoo (off this site, the ad is to the left)
It keeps my oil under control for the 2 days.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form