Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

EEEEK! HELP ME! Crochet damage really beginning to make me nervous!!!

Nicki Herrick
@nicki-herrick
11 years ago
27 posts

I'm getting really nervous about the damage I caused to my dreads in the beginning. I stopped crocheting back in October but my dreads are thin and stiff and are proving annoying at the moment. A big part of that could be because my bangs are at an awkward length since I'm growing them out but I'm still noticing things that worry me. I'm really afraid that a couple of them may want to fall off!!! The squiggles and loops are coming back and I'm starting to get a lil fuzzy again which I like. It looks so much better that way now. But I can still see the separation in the back from where my rubber bands were the first two months of my dreads. I've met people who have been crocheting for 6+ years and their dreads don't seem as damaged as mine. I think I may just need some reassurance and some pointers on how to keep my dreads happy and healthy. Help please!

updated by @nicki-herrick: 01/13/15 09:42:52PM
Coloursnrainbows
@coloursnrainbows
11 years ago
21 posts
You will just have to give them the time they need to heal. And that can be a very long process. But truly lov them now and they will show you love in the near future. Right now they are showing you how much they hurt. All that will fix it is tender love and care and time.
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
The reason the 6 yr old dreads don't look like your is because they are still crocheting and damaging their hair. You've chosen a path that will lead to happy, healthy, lifelong dreads. It will be uncomfortable and awkward during the recovery process, but all of that will result in sweet dreadies that will last your whole life. Unfortunately you may lose some from the damage. Don't take it as a defeat but as a hard learned lesson of what not to do. If you do lose some, the hair will grow back and you can let that hair dread naturally. Have patience. Try your best to enjoy and learn from this recovery. Use it as an example to others of the damage that is done by crocheting. It's hard and it'll take a long time, but you've made it 3 months, would it be worth it to end it all by crocheting again to ease your fears?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if you patch 6the potholes in the road every year do you notice how many potholes a road has?

crochets a constant repairing of the damage caused by repairing as long as they keep it up they dont look too damaged to the naked eye but are extremely damaged internaly

case in point that skillteacher on youtube that pushed crochet .. hes demoing how to make dreads thicker with crochet and his wifes dread falls right off in his hand..there was no visible thinning no signs of weakness it looked fine (for a crochetted dread except for all the huge bald areas around each dread)

if they are showing signs of coming back to life you are ok yea the damage is still there u cant fix it but you are no longer adding to it so from here on out they will stay as healthy as they can be concidering their past

do they show signs of abuse and weakness how bad lets look at the simptoms not causes and see what treatmenrs maybe needed

if theres a weak spot that needs to congo or whatever to save it ..show us the problems your most worried about

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form