Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Bleached my Dreads...

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

Last night I bleached and dyed my dreads. I bleached and dyed them about 5 weeks ago as well....

anyway, this is what I did. I used the 20 volume SalonCare brand developer with Ion Color Brilliance powder bleach. the bleach was NOT rubbed into my dreads, my SIL and I painted the bleach on top of the dreads using the dye brushes from Sally's. after the bleach was on, I put my dreads up in a ponytail and put on a shower cap. I put my blow dryer on low and blow dried around the shower cap keeping the dryer about a foot away from my head at all times. I did this for 15 minutes, then went to my bath tub and rinsed. I rinsed for about 30 minutes under the spigot, long after I stopped seeing the blue bleach coming out. The water ran clear and without suds for at least 10 minutes. There was also no bleach smell in my dreads. I allowed my dreads to air dry, then I rinsed again and let them dry, then rinsed one more time and blow dried them. Then I proceeded to dyeing the dreads, and just dyed them like normal rinsing until the water ran clear afterward.

Today, my dreads seem a little looser. I don't know, they just seem weaker and... i want to say stretchy. i pulled some individual hairs out of a few dreads and those hair are not stretchy. it's almost like the dreads are just a looser so when I pull on the end of the dread there is a little bit of slack. is that normal?

updated by @justsomechick: 01/13/15 09:42:32PM
JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

oh and not all of my dreads feel looser.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they should be somewhat elastic if the elasticity was gone thats more a concern like interlocking removes the elasticity at the interlock points so when pulled instead of stretching they are more likely to snap

but if they feel ..different u might want to talk to panterra about it

but if they are just a lil looser dont worry givve em a week and they'll be ok i bet

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

Oh no I don't interlock. all i do is wash, separate and use flax seed gel ocassionally. I've never crotched or used wax or anything.

some of the dreads feel slightly different. then again i've never really tried stretching them so maybe i am just noticing this now.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i didnt mean to imply u did was just using that as an example of what happens when they are no longer elastic

and when wet or damp they are way more elastic too something like 3 times as much

a wet dread should hbe able to be strethched to 3 times its length without breaking (i believe)

thatswhy its easier and less painfull to seperate when wet they stretch before breaking i think when wet the actual tensile strengths reduced as well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

they're not going to fall out, right? like if they were going to break off id be noticing some major changes already? nothing has changed all day.

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

eventually i'm going to have color over the purple... but i will hold off on that for as long as possible. would coconut oil work?

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
12 years ago
96 posts

so i could add some to my flax seed gel?

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

so it's the third day since i dyed my dreads. IF by any chance there was bleach still processing in the dread, despite the fact the we didn't rub it in at all, I would definitely be seeing severe damage by now, right?

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

the tip of one of my dreads just broke off. it is the only one i've had my eye for a while because it seemed really brittle compared to the other dreads. the tip of this dread was also the thinnest of all my dreads. about 1.5 in broke off. none of my other dreads are behaving in the manner this one was. they all seem pretty solid. i should be fine, right?

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form