Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing?

Amanda B.
@amanda-b
12 years ago
2 posts
Im almost 99% sure im going to start dreadlocks and I was talking to my boyfriend that has them, and he told me I can only wash about 3-4 times a week. The only problem is, my hair gets extremely greasy overnight and it's just horrible. Is it absolutely necessary to not wash every night?
updated by @amanda-b: 01/13/15 09:41:52PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea cause they wont dry plus your greasy cause your washing so much you strip oils ..wich are there for a reason then the scalp panics and produces more poils if you wash less you slowly get less oily plus

oily hairs too acidic so wash with baking soda only every 3 days for a couple weeks till yoir less oiuly then slowly add acv after..or switch to a dread shampoo

also leaving pores open lets oils leak out hot water will remove oils better but cold rinse closes pores (and seals oils into cuticles) so less oils produced

the les u strip oils the less oily u will get

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ღHippie Loveღ
@hippie-love
12 years ago
80 posts

Listen to SE he knows more than probably anyone on here since he been dreading for 22 years.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
12 years ago
233 posts

Hm, maybe start by washing every other day and then work your way down to 1-2 times a week?

Not gonna lie...I'm no expert, but I'm gonna guess that the first few weeks of your journey will be very...greasy. =( Everyone's scalp has a specific pH level that, if left undisturbed, will help you maintain a healthy, not-too-greasy, not-too-dry head of hair (for the most part). The thing is, there are a ZILLION hair products on the market designed to do this/that/the other, and many of us have used them in the past. Unfortunately, the majority of these products throw off your pH (seriously, you would be very hard-pressed to find a hair product that does not alter the scalp's pH -- pretty sad and shocking how much BS goes into marketing hair stuff), and if you've been using them for a long time...your scalp's going to go a bit haywire once you've stopped using them. I actually had a chronically dry scalp, so it itched, burned, and flaked like NONE OTHER during my first month! But it's fine now. Your hair will, eventually, learn how to maintain itself without other products getting in its way.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Eagle's right. The more you wash, the more oil you strip from your hair. So your scalp starts to over-produce oils. If you wash less often, your hair will be greasy for a little while, as your scalp adjusts. But after a few washes, it levels out and stops producing so much oil.

Skin and the oils produced are a bit on the acidic side, already, so over producing those oils and not allowing your skin to adjust makes for too acidic hair and scalp. BS is basic and will help raise your pH level. This will keep it from getting too oily.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly you do want to steop it down start washing every other day then every 3 if you can make it to 4 and just atart to feel greasy on the day uiu wash then your fine no need to go past 4

in fact if u get to 4 but preffer to wash on 3 thats ok too

it might take a fe weeks to adjust

thyme tea (sprayed on and left on not drank althopiugh cant hurt to drink some too) will also assist in helping to re adjust yoir oil production

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form