Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Adding dreads gradually?

VERVAIN
@vervain
12 years ago
5 posts

I'm wondering if anyone else has gone the route I'm going now which is just adding locs gradually. I add about one dreadlock a week by twist and ripping. I'm up to 6 now, I'd say they are coming along ok. I will get some pics up shortly. But has anyone else done it this way? Are they any opinions on doing it this way?? Thank you.

updated by @vervain: 01/13/15 09:41:48PM
VERVAIN
@vervain
12 years ago
5 posts

The only con I've noticed so far is taking care of 2 different types of hair. I want to wash my still unlocked hair normally, and the dreads the normal way for dreads. It's getting harder to separate the two types while washing.

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
You can wash all your hair the normal way for dreads, it'll encourage your normal hair to dread tho. BUT natural dreading can take a very long time, so you could very well have the rest of your hair TnRed first.
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

My husband did this. His hair is about 1/3 dreaded right now and the rest of his hair is normal. Unless you are going to eventually dread your entire head it's kind of a pain. His dreads are constantly eating the normal hair and he has to put more in because that's the only thing that he can do at some points.

If you dont' mind that I think its a really cute style.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why are u doing this instead just wash as if u have dreds and guess wghat you will get 1 or 2 dreads a week without having to tnr

your basicly preventing dreads just so u can force dreads

instead stop preventing them and let them happen

u can still tnr 1 now and then if u feel the need but there wont e a need

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jessica Wilson
@jessica-wilson
12 years ago
17 posts

That is exactly how I did mine. It was over a course of 2 months that I did TnR.......and I deeply regret it. As a matter of fact I just posted a discussion about that the other day. Just stop everything and let nature take its course. I feel I cheated Iself of seeing the beautiful transformation they would have taken on their own. It has been about 9 months now w/o anything except washing. The TnR did not speed things up in fact I feel it slowed it down. Please just leave your hair alone. You WILL love that choice in the future.

Bless!

ღHippie Loveღ
@hippie-love
12 years ago
80 posts

I have 15 tnr dreads now, but once you start washing your hair like if you had your whole head with dreadlocks you'll start to notice that your hair will start sectioning into sections. I'm in my second week of dreading my third set of dreads now just left my other hair for neglect but at the same time trying to maintain it so it won't dread. All my dreads are underneath the rest of my hair so I'm trying to go with a style I have loved to have/wear for years now.

VERVAIN
@vervain
12 years ago
5 posts

:) Thank you, I really appreciate your input. I"m realizing more and more that it is about the journey, just reading everything here on this site.

Jessica Wilson said:

That is exactly how I did mine. It was over a course of 2 months that I did TnR.......and I deeply regret it. As a matter of fact I just posted a discussion about that the other day. Just stop everything and let nature take its course. I feel I cheated Iself of seeing the beautiful transformation they would have taken on their own. It has been about 9 months now w/o anything except washing. The TnR did not speed things up in fact I feel it slowed it down. Please just leave your hair alone. You WILL love that choice in the future.

Bless!

VERVAIN
@vervain
12 years ago
5 posts

When you say stop conditioning, do you also mean stop brushing the rest of my hair as well? Just let nature take its course? Thank you for the input. :)

Matthew Brooks said:

I did the same thing at the beginning of my journey and found that it is not the thing to do. Like Aya said, they will eat your other hair creating bald spots that may or may not go away over time. Either TnR or Backcomb them all, or, just stop using conditioner and they will dread, and then do nothing but wash and separate congos, that's it! Happy dreading!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ofcourse stop conditioning stop brushing just let it dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form