Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Express yourself now

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Happy Birthday to me! 50 years young today, what a milestone. All my life I considered myself a free spirit, yet would not dread my hair due to how most people expected me to look. Don't get me wrong, I loved my long, sexy hair, but dreads I knew were the missing part of me, I've only been on my journey less than a year, with not much support for my decision (because of how they look at this stage), but who gives a shit, not me. I am now being my true self and loving it, stoked that dreads will not make it to the bucket list I haven't written or thought of yet.

To those of you out there undecided whether to dread or not, have no regrets, do what YOU want in life now. Please don't let friends, family or society be your decision factor. Be free and express yourself, however that may be. Life is a journey, and so are dreads!

I should add that this first year of dreads is challenging at times, especially when they are just plain fucked up that day, but you know what I do? I put on a loose tam and don't look in the mirror, problem solved. This site will teach you how to keep healthy wax free dreads & gentle souls offer moral support for anything. So hey, don't wait, start them now. Get up and throw that brush or comb in the garbage. Yep, right now. Smile at the beginning of your freedom.

updated by @the-barrellady: 01/13/15 09:41:41PM
Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
12 years ago
100 posts

i love it...yay

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Yaaaayyyy!!! Happy Birthday!! I turned 41 last month, started dreading a couple months before I turned 40. I had questioned my decision at times to dread at this point in my life, but it boiled downto 'fuck it, it's my hair, my life, my choice'. I do not regret the decision at all! I have become a freer person in all ways over the last 15 months of dreading. Gone thru some huge life changes and I'm finally content with most things in my life. The decision to dread (and keep them) started the whole thing.Cheers to all us 'older' dreadies!!!
k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

glad you started. My only regret with dreads is that i wish i started earlier. i had wanted them forever, but finally got my head out of my ass and started the process

Bree
@bree
12 years ago
19 posts

Happy Birthday! I just started my dreads too and I already have greys and I love it... They look like sparkles :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Nice to hear from "older dreadies". Thanks for the birthday greeting.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Hari, when we have grey dreads, they will be sexy. Enjoy your journey also.

Hari Shabad said:

Good for you... And happy birthday! I'm 50 too and I just started my dread journey. I plan to have grey dreadies one day. It seems most on here are younger but that's just the outer wrapper - who we really are in inside and I am still young inside. Best to you on your journey!!
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Contentment comes with age. We know who we are by this time and are not pressured by others to be what we are not. Cheers to you too!

Mons said:

I turned 41 last month, started dreading a couple months before I turned 40. I had questioned my decision at times to dread at this point in my life, but it boiled down
to 'fuck it, it's my hair, my life, my choice'.......
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form