Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Bases knotting flat?

Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
Hi wise folks,I am excited to report that my experiment wearing a wool tam my friend crocheted for me is working out far better than I'd anticipated! I am having to separate my roots like crazy; they are really knotting up, clearly forming dread bases! I'm super excited; I am only 6 weeks in :)I am noticing several dreads, most on the back of my head, where there is a knot forming in a very flat way against my head. Does that make sense? I am wondering if it might be a good idea to tie a little hemp around the bases for a while to gently coax them into knotting together more. Or maybe this is normal and they will on their own?I also have one lock forming on the top of my head that is wildly trying to attach to the ones around it, and I keep having to pull renegade hairs out of them. Sould I do this with this one too?Tanks so much!Feeling wild and crazy with my half knotted hair :)
updated by @mama-jme: 01/13/15 09:41:16PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

umm not sure i understand

1st 1 the dread riots are flat ..against your head? or flat as it the dred will be flattish

the 2nd 1 if hairs want to dread into it why are u pulling them out or is it too big of a section

maybe pics would help

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

From what I gather, you mean that some of the locks on the back of your head are knotting flat, right? That's normal. I have a few that do/did. Some will stay flatter, some will round themselves out it time. It's not uncommon for the roots to be a little flatter because they are being pressed against your head when you wear a hat, sleep, anything that puts pressure there.

As for the second point, don't feel like you need to separate each and every hair that gets tangled. Just separate the main ones. It's better to just pull the locks apart that are trying to congo that to go after individual hairs. If some are left over, leave them until they are easier to separate by ripping next time.

But yeah, Pics would help

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

I have a nice one at t back of my head that has this huge zig zag and I must say it's my favorite thus far and it's flat at the root. I really don't mind if it rounds out not! I have a few flat dreads but I don't worry about them and I don't go thru my hair looking for flat ones cause I don't want to disturb the process much. About the only time I even touch my hair other than occational itch is when I wash and when I decide to seperate which I'll seperate maybe once or twice a month now. I want some to congo so I might just seperate once a month now.

Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
Thanks guys. Yes, the ones on the back of my head seem to be knotting very flatly. I guess I'm wondering if the whole dread Will likely be that way or just the base.

The one on top is already going to be my biggest one, so I don't want it congoing for sure! I will try to relax about the little hairs sneaking around. In general, should I let te hairs go where they want to and just rip apart congos? I feel like when I try to keep the boundaries of the bases of the dreads I'm making all kinds of loose hairs. A lot of te bases seem to have hairs tryi to join their neighbors. Is that normal?

I will post pics in a bit. Thanks again!
Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
1st is the mega dread forming on top of my head, 2nd is a photo of two dreads at the back of my head; both have the same size and shape base, but one is knotting up totally round and the other is knotting up splayed out in a fan shape. Would it hurt anyone to wrap a little hemp around the base of the ones knotting up wide like that? I like the way a little hemp looks in finished dreads, so I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to interfere in any harmful way :)
Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
Oops, here's the first one.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

They all look fine. I wouldn't wrap any up until later on in their process, and only if there really is a problem. but from what I can see, there's nothing to worry about

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form