Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dry shampoo on my beautiful mess?

hailey eden
@hailey-eden
12 years ago
4 posts
I have had my locks for roughly a month now. They are turning out beautifully. My only problem is the oils in my hair, I wash my hair once a week but after a couple days my hair is greasy. I was thinking about using dry shampoo but I am not sure of the potential damage that might do... any suggestions?
updated by @hailey-eden: 01/13/15 09:40:49PM
katietheladi
@katietheladi
12 years ago
34 posts

try washing your hair more often. im guessing dry shampoo will just stay in your dreads same as any regular residue-filled shampoo. i do the baking soda wash every 2/3 days, as soon they start to look and feel greasy. i could be wrong but i think i read somewhere on this site that a cold water rinse at the end of the wash helps control oils too

hailey eden
@hailey-eden
12 years ago
4 posts
Thank you for your advice, I will definitely try thar.
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

Yeah Katie is right. You could also wash less often but you'd have to continue to wash /w the same frequency you have been til your hair is ***somewhat but almost*** oily-enough-to-wash by a week's time. Worked with me as my scalp produces a ton less oil after washing once every 4-5 days, but I'm gonna start washing more often as of tonight because I think the times I waited too long set my baby dreads back. Mine are almost 2 months old and I'm glad there's else out there at this stage that started /w the same wash frequency.

One thing I noticed - if you don't use enough baking soda, the water isn't warm enough to completely dissolve the baking soda, have really hard water, or a combination of those, the baking soda wash does not work very well - infact it brings about a lot of buildup. Which means my hair was extra "dirty" until I used the following technique last week. Bring the water for the wash to a boil if the water is hard, then pour it into a fairly heat-resistant container and not pouring the 1/2-3/4 inch layer of the boiled water in with it. The minerals fall to the bottom when boiling - so you end up with soft water. Put in half a cup of baking soda per 5 cups water once below boiling point, let it cool to a warm but not too warm temperature, then apply. I've done dozens and dozens of washes before and that one cleaned my hair and scalp better than I could ever imagine... Note you can also use distilled water which is still soft, just get it to very warm or right below boiling so the baking soda completely dissolves.

Good luck Hailey!!!!

hailey eden
@hailey-eden
12 years ago
4 posts
Sorry guys I ment to say roughly 3 months old*
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

still ^_^

hailey eden
@hailey-eden
12 years ago
4 posts
Thank you so much for the needed help *-*
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

What does *_* mean I haven't seen it?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the way to decrease oiliness wash with baking soda (no acv) wash 1 day after its gotten pretty oily but try to extend that a day every dso often

wash with hot to remove oils but rinse cold

hot opens pores alowing them to be cleaned out easier but cold closes them so they pump out less oils

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form