Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question about roots

Sarah13
@sarah13
12 years ago
11 posts

So I am a little over 3 months into the natural/neglect method and my hair has pretty much sectioned itself out, but lately I have noticed that about 1-2 inches of the roots are all connected together. It's almost like a net across my whole head, if I pull one dread in the back, the whole front of my hair moves.

I was just wondering if this is normal and will work itself out or do I need to do something to fix this?

I have tried to tear them apart but they are too thickly connected that to separate them, I would probably have to cut them apart.

If this is not normal, what could have caused this? I have been wearing loose beanies and sometimes tying my hair up.

updated by @sarah13: 01/13/15 09:39:35PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

both the beanies and tyoing them up will cause it but you should have been ripping them apart all along

try it when wet

if you cant ru[ip them when wet try a lil olive oil on the connecting hairs

only cut if theres no other way and do so with surgical precision onlu snipping a few hairs at a ti,e till u release enough to allow you to rip them apart

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's pretty much normal. I have a video on separating locks, if you need to take a look. But there should always be a web of hairs interconnecting your locks around the scalp.

Dreadlocks still grow like normal hair. Don't forget this. Even the most mature locks don't grow directly out of your head in a long thick snake. That straight hair that grow out gets snagged and knotted with the straight hair that grows out of the locks next to it. And those locks with the ones next the them. In the end, you get a web of hairs the attach all of your locks together.

Just rip them apart as needed. But don't try to rip them apart all the way to the scalp. Once you can't rip them anymore by hand, you're done. You shouldn't eve rip them apart until the body of the locks start to tangle together.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/separating-tutorial-part-2

Sarah13
@sarah13
12 years ago
11 posts

I have been ripping them apart as best I can, but not too aggressively. This seems to have only developed within the past couple weeks but I will try next time I wash them as I'd rather not have to use scissors.

soaring eagle said:

both the beanies and tyoing them up will cause it but you should have been ripping them apart all along

try it when wet

if you cant ru[ip them when wet try a lil olive oil on the connecting hairs

only cut if theres no other way and do so with surgical precision onlu snipping a few hairs at a ti,e till u release enough to allow you to rip them apart

Sarah13
@sarah13
12 years ago
11 posts

Thanks! That video helped a lot. I'm glad it's somewhat normal and I'm not the only one with this issue. It was kind of freaking me out for a bit, but now that I know, I will try to be more vigilant at making sure they don't get too connected.

Baba Fats said:

It's pretty much normal. I have a video on separating locks, if you need to take a look. But there should always be a web of hairs interconnecting your locks around the scalp.

Dreadlocks still grow like normal hair. Don't forget this. Even the most mature locks don't grow directly out of your head in a long thick snake. That straight hair that grow out gets snagged and knotted with the straight hair that grows out of the locks next to it. And those locks with the ones next the them. In the end, you get a web of hairs the attach all of your locks together.

Just rip them apart as needed. But don't try to rip them apart all the way to the scalp. Once you can't rip them anymore by hand, you're done. You shouldn't eve rip them apart until the body of the locks start to tangle together.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/separating-tutorial-part-2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form