Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is something wrong with my dreads?!

Nicki Herrick
@nicki-herrick
12 years ago
27 posts
So I have very recently switched to the neglect method, thanks to this site! :) but when I originally started my dreads a lil over a year ago I had no clue what I was doing, so my source for information was dreadheadhq.com unfortunately. I had my roots and ends in rubber bands for 2 months, I used there lock peppa powder, n I used a teeny tiny crochet hook for maintenance. I stopped using the lock peppa many months ago n the hook a few weeks ago. I have been playing in the ocean lately, which has helped to soften my dreads a lil bit but I feel like my dreads don't look right in the back. I feel as if my dreads r too thin. They never really thickened up or got fatter over time, n in the back I feel like I can see the sections I had when the rubberbands were in. I put some hair wraps n beads in yesterday to try and combine some, I had over 100, will my hair be ok?!?! I'm just getting anxious because now I think I can recognize the damage I was doing to my hair before and I don't want my hair to fall out!
updated by @nicki-herrick: 01/13/15 09:39:26PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you can see the sections in the back, that's not great. But it can be fixed. It' because of the bands and the crocheting. I've combined a few to help fix the damage I did when I palm rolled in the beginning, and it's stating to help. If you leave them alone, they will fix themselves. I'd recommend using the BS?ACV wash for a while because it'd a no touch wash and the most gentle. If the wraps you put on are tight, that will only aggravate the problem

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Is there any way you can attach a pic so we can see? I'm wondering if it's because of the tightness from being crocheted and so close to the scalp. Which in turn makes me wonder if new hair growth will help fill it in, then get sucked into established dreads, making them thicker.

Definitely do the baking soda wash for a while. You don't want to muss with your hair too much while it's recovering.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the crochet will make them way too thin and they will fatten up..eventualy if you just stopped crocheting you got a long wait ahead i would reconcider joining them till you know howthick they will get otr at least estimate bu=y the base size..where the roots meet the scalp

cause 2 thin dreads are each 1/3 the size so combined they will probly be 6 times the size

although at 100 they probably will be thin regardless

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form