Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Henna question

dreaded delusion
@dreaded-delusion
15 years ago
84 posts
Hello everyone. Unfortuatly I am very unhappy with my natural hair color. It is very dull, not blonde and not brown, something nasty in between. Anyways, I want to dye my dreads and I was thinking henna would be the best bet because it's safe. my only problem is that when researching I found that henna stays in you hair and you cannot use chemical dyes anymore unless it is new growth. IS this true or is there a time window where it's ok again? I ask this because I wanted to dye diff colors and with henna there isn't the option to go lighter and this is what i wanted for some.... thanks in advance.
updated by @dreaded-delusion: 01/13/15 08:29:31PM
dreaded delusion
@dreaded-delusion
15 years ago
84 posts
wow. thanks for your help, that's nice to know. i'm definatly going to give it a lot of thought now before jumping into it.
dreaded delusion
@dreaded-delusion
15 years ago
84 posts
ugh!! that's frusterating!!! That's why im scared to try it. ad also scared to use box dyes cos i don't want the chemicals to wreck my dreads so here i sit with this color. lol Knottysleeves said:
Good plan. Henna can give amazing results, but if you get bad results then you're SOL.

I made the mistake of using a prepared "medium brown" henna almost 2 years ago (a few months before starting my latest set of dreads) instead of my usual red mixture, and it darkened my hair WAY more than it should have, and now my dreads are dark brown and I'm stuck with it until I cut them off. Even now when I use my regular red mix, it only adds a reddish sheen to the dark areas -- they're still dark! Argh!
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

henna fades a lot but usually not completely, indigo has to be cut off & can't be dyed over it stains. henna is red, to get brownish colors they add indigo so a prepared mix probably had indigo in it & that's why it has stained so dark.

you can use just some slight henna with lemon so it stays lighter & closer to your original color but still gets a new shade/add some reddish highlights. i would think it'd be hard to wash out of dreads though so you'd want a very fine powder or only try to dye the outside of the dread i've heard?

(& i realize this is super old, but just in case anyone else is here searching for henna, i was!)

dreaded delusion said:

ugh!! that's frusterating!!! That's why im scared to try it. ad also scared to use box dyes cos i don't want the chemicals to wreck my dreads so here i sit with this color. lol

Knottysleeves said:
Good plan. Henna can give amazing results, but if you get bad results then you're SOL.

I made the mistake of using a prepared "medium brown" henna almost 2 years ago (a few months before starting my latest set of dreads) instead of my usual red mixture, and it darkened my hair WAY more than it should have, and now my dreads are dark brown and I'm stuck with it until I cut them off. Even now when I use my regular red mix, it only adds a reddish sheen to the dark areas -- they're still dark! Argh!
Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

And if you don't mind I'd like to add a really informative link to this thread...
http://www.hennaforhair.com/

I would think you also want to consider the age of your dreads... henna super conditions your hair and I think would work against the dreading process... NEVER buy prepared henna in a box, its crap and there are almost as many chemicals in it as the regular chemical dyes. If you want to do it you should do it right and get the powdered henna.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

good info link, that's where i go too :)

Australe said:

And if you don't mind I'd like to add a really informative link to this thread...
http://www.hennaforhair.com/

I would think you also want to consider the age of your dreads... henna super conditions your hair and I think would work against the dreading process... NEVER buy prepared henna in a box, its crap and there are almost as many chemicals in it as the regular chemical dyes. If you want to do it you should do it right and get the powdered henna.

Arlequine Mardoll
@arlequine-mardoll
12 years ago
11 posts

Hello everyone,

Before starting my dread journey I used to use henna as well... And I'd really like to keep on but I'm pretty afraid of the incredible mess it could be, and if henna wouldn't accumulate in the dreads or something. On my "normal" hair it was already difficult to rince, so on dreadlocks I was thinking it might be terrible ! Any regular henna-user here that could share his experience? Thanks :))

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form