Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

need some help with recovery

Evi Szalai
@evi-szalai
12 years ago
6 posts

Hi everyone! I am really grateful to find this site your dreads are totally inspiring! :)

unfortunately, I started my dreads with some backcombing and crochet hook (only at the back of my head, not all of my hair), which was not the best idea.. but I will learn from this mistake, and practicing patience will b good for me, too :))
I already switched to neglect them, but I still need some help what to do now. I already use the bs wash, and some oils you've mentioned and threw away my hook and my comb. :)

is it okay to use just the bs wash, coz I don't really get what residue-free means? (and I couldn't find any products here in Hungary which says it is non-residue..)

second question: I have to tie up my hair at work, will it slow down the process of dreading?

if you have any other advice, don't hold back them. :)

now, I want to grow my own dreads, I want all my hair to be free.

this site is amazing, I'm lucky I find you

updated by @evi-szalai: 02/14/15 09:25:45AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Yup, don't do anything but wash and separate as needed. I've posted 2 videos on my page to help with a questions about separating. Because you crocheted, they may get fuzzier for a while since it takes about 6 months for them to heal. Just let it go. Those loose hairs will get sucked back in in time.

Residue free means that it doesn't leave a residue when it's rinsed out. The BS/ACV wash will be just fine. I did it for a few months 2 times a week without any problems. If you want, you can check out the soaps from dreadlockshampoo.com. The shipping cost may scare you a bit, but you can get 4-6 bars into the package without the shipping cost going up. So it's more worth it, and you won't have to buy more as soon.

As for tying your hair up at work. If you leave it down the rest of the day, it won't delay the process that much. But if you can get a tam, or a bandanna instead of tying it back, that would be much better for them

Evi Szalai
@evi-szalai
12 years ago
6 posts

Thank you! :) i'm gonna check your videos about separating and let my hair to heal, also try the bandana, hope my boss will tolerate it :) and a big thanks again, I knew help was on the way!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

considering the fact that u crocheted they dont look too bad

they may get extra fuzzy but thats ok

yea u can use the baking soda only

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Evi Szalai
@evi-szalai
12 years ago
6 posts

:) that's a relief! Now I feel I found the best place to get the support I need and I finally started my real dread journey, it's all thanks to you!

I am not sure about using acv, cause it made my hair greasy but the bs and the oils are just perfect! also bought some jojoba oil for the crocheted ones.

I hope I can show you my healthy and happy and new dreads soon. :) but I love them already. :) Your hair and attitude is amazing!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u should rry the dreadlockshampoo.com bars the bs acv isnt for everybody i gues but thoe soaps are amazing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Evi Szalai
@evi-szalai
12 years ago
6 posts

Dreadlockshampoo.com bars look great but the shipping price is too much for me. Any other ideas? What about natural herbal soaps and/or baby shampoos?

and what will happen to the crocheted dreads during the healing process? They are loosing up now, they will be normal healthy dreads in time? Just curious.

Thanks

Homestar
@homestar
12 years ago
17 posts

Just wanna say your dreads look beautiful! :)

Evi Szalai
@evi-szalai
12 years ago
6 posts

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If your hair is normally oily, that means your scalps pH is on the acidic side. For a while you can skip the ACV. Let your scalp's pH get back to a normal level. Then, VERY slowly reintroduce ACV. I mean really slowly. 1 capful to a gallon of water once a week, with 2 BS only washes in between. Then try doing it twice a week. Then use ACV for all 3 washes. Eventually, it won't make your scalp greasy anymore. if it still does, the BS/ACV wash may not be for you.

Dr. Bronners is great if you have soft water. But it leave residue if you have hard water. If you're willing to distill your own water, that would work too. I can help you build a distillery that is cheap and easy to make.

I know that the shipping of the Dreadlockshampoo soaps can seem pricey, but they use flat rate shipping packaging. If you have the money to buy a few bars at a time, you can fit 5-6 bars in 1 package before the shipping goes up. Just keep adding items until the shipping cost goes up and then remove one item. That is if you have the money for 5 bars. They really are worth it.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form