Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New, Help and Advice needed please :)

Lionel
@lionel
12 years ago
3 posts

Hello to all, im new here and i would like to thank you all for your good advice on the site ^^, im on my process to dread and since 4month ive been going neglect method my hairs are very curly and there has not been any difference since now(i know 4 month is short) except for maybe 6 baby dreads in the back of my head. I have palm roll a week ago and i can see a huge difference, my hair keeping the form after palmrolling.

My hair are great after i shower as its curly wish it could lock this way, but when im palm roll its no longer curly but it is effective. will the result of palm roll and neglect be the same at the end(i know it takes time) or does the final result differ ?

updated by @lionel: 01/13/15 09:35:53PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

palm rolling is temporary at best (& is best with products, which most are crap) & can be harmful/damaging. I suggest you watch Babas video on palmrolling.

With neglect all you have to do is wash, separate as wanted/needed & give them time & love.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

paplm rolling is 0ointless it does nothing worthwhile it seems to help for a day but then it all goes away just leave them alone its normal to dread 1st on the side u sleep on wering a yam at night (wool tam) may help speed up the rest;;i9f it stays on]also sea salt helps

and how are u washing how often with what etc and how longs the hair

actualy beads will help way more thgen palm rolling and palm rolling can be very harmful if u do it alot so i wouldnt palkm roll at all

\

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

The best advice you can heed is to be patient. Curly hair usually dreads faster than straight hair. I guess because it's bouncy and moves more? Anyway. Just have patience..wash 2-3 times a week and drive around with the car windows rolled down. And enjoy the craziness that will be your hair in the coming months!

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

yes this is good. but i don't even like to think of it/call it patience. more acceptance. accept your hair for what it is or isn't, love it no matter if it's knotty right off the bat or if it takes several months. Just learn to be free & live your life & enjoy forgetting about having to "do" your hair ;)

Mons said:

The best advice you can heed is to be patient. Curly hair usually dreads faster than straight hair. I guess because it's bouncy and moves more? Anyway. Just have patience..wash 2-3 times a week and drive around with the car windows rolled down. And enjoy the craziness that will be your hair in the coming months!

Lionel
@lionel
12 years ago
3 posts

Thank you all for your great advice :D im gonna go on the neglect method, i will just separate them from time to time :)

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Very true Ixchel! I'm a very impatient person normally so I have to practice patience in order to learn acceptance. Oh and control lol for me it takes immense patience to learn to let go of control. I'm doing a lot of that over the last year or so. It started with my hair too!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Palm rolling your hair is not natural. Natural locks mean you did nothing but wash and separate. Palm rolling is an active process to create something.
That said, it only does 1 of 2 things. Either it does nothing because yo do it lightly and it doesn't create lasting tangles. Or you do it to the point where you do create real knot. If you do see progress from it, you are doing it too hard and too much. This will irrevocably damage your hair. Palm rolling destroys your roots. It's a damage that you don't see right away too, which is the worst kind. In a year you will see that your roots are so much thinner than the lock itself. This makes it so that in time, the lock can actually fall out because it weighs so much and the root hairs can't support it. Check out my video on palm rolling and what it did to my locks. You'll stop right away. I only did it for about 2 weeks

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Oh Lionel...get some beads too! I had a whole section at the nape of my neck that I had combed out. A couple weeks ago with the help of Ixchel's video on wrapping hair I put some beads on that combed out hair with some wraps in the ends to hold the beads in. I took them out the other day to find 3 of them nice and sectioned with some good knotting happening. (Yeah lack of control acceptance and paitience got the better of me)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form