Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What's been the hardest part of your journey?

HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts

Just a discussion question because I'm bored.

I'm only about a week in and so far the hardest part has been not combing my fingers through my hair. That, and trying to decide what to do with the flat iron I bought last Christmas.

updated by @hayleyb124: 02/14/15 04:58:55AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

lol. Give it away. You don't need it now. If it works, someone will be glad to have it.

I get not running through your hair with your fingers. Try grabbing a section and flipping it backwards, over your head. Like you would with long hair to get it out of your face. When they are mature and long, this will be so much fun cause they'll weigh more and kind of thud against your back. Plus it keeps your hands busy and not combing through your hair

HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts
i was actually considering using it as a portable bacon cooker. saw a picture of someone doing that and it seems like a fun experiment lol
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's so weird. Be careful.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

thinking i was patient in the first place. allowing your hair to lock naturally has really emphasized to me to really think ahead at long term results and outcomes for any situation..my scalp has had a hard time adjusting to the bs rinses n such, but its all good. im just going to assume it as more to do with location than anything that i am doing in particular..for the first 6-7 months it was tough to not keep moving the hair up front behind my ear and getting used to it in my face so that it would actually lock up. alls good now though and im loving everything about my journey :)

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

I beennaturallydreading for around 9 months and I wake up some days and don't feel so great about my hair, sometimes I miss being able to do cute shit to my hair. I continue to struggle with it from time to time but I know I would regret so bad if I combed them, they are wonderful.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

There are plenty of cute things you can do with locks. Braids, twisting them together, buns, buns that let the tips of your locks stick out in a spiral. Different wraps. There's a whole post about updo's for locks around here

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Hardest thing for me has been letting go of control. I've found out over the last few years that I'm like a passive-aggressive control freak and I've been working really hard to change that. I think that was one of the reasons I started dreading. My way of letting go of control and handing things over to a Higher Power.Right now the hardest part is waiting to get some length back. My hair was about midway down my back and is now above shoulder length. I hadn't really expected that! This morning when I got off work and took my ponytail out a couple dreads got caught in my collar, so they're finally starting to grow a bit. I'm really looking forward to having longish locks and that makes me a bit impatient for my hair to grow.
Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

Yeah I think that's the problem as of now I've spent these months trying to leave them down as much as possible so they can form and haven't been doing much with them I put them in two buns on the each side of my head the other day and it looked so great! could have never done that with my thin hair before, guess I kinda jst miss curling it a bit though, but once I did see something about curling hair with rags overnight, might work with dreads!

Boston Blanchard
@boston-blanchard
12 years ago
5 posts

My biggest problem at this point, about four weeks in, is that my hair is very fine and, still quite short, and it seems as though every day is day one. My hair sections very nicely after I wash it but, when I wake up after a nights sleep, it all seems to go right back to square one. Patience in itself is an ongoing journey for me. The only other trouble is keeping my girlfriends hands out of my hair. She has always had the freedom of playing with my hair. She has always used that as a sign of affection and not that is gone. I guess it is a journey for both of us now.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form