Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

short baby dread updos

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

anniversary dinner. dress & heels. real food with no children (off to the sitter for the first time! eek!)

all the videos i'm finding my hair is too short, not knotty enough, too much hair, too poofy. i'm having a super hard time finding something cute & special to do.

suggestions? ideas? thoughts?

updated by @ixchel: 01/13/15 09:35:03PM
Marissa Lynn
@marissa-lynn
12 years ago
3 posts

an easy thing i like to do that looks cute is take back a dread behind each ear and pull em back like your doing a half up half down style & tie em up(i double tie them). then take a couple below that and just do a simple one tie then with the rest hanging down roll them up&tuck into the first tied dreads. looks simple and stylish&keeps them out of my way at work&is quite easy. if the description doesn't work lemme know i can try to do pictures to show how

Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
I'm in the same boat. My hair is either too short or not knotted enough for dread styles and too knotted for non dread styles. My dressy style at the moment is rolling the sides Into loose pin curls and pinning them in that pigtail spot above and behind my ear. The back stays loose, and it's cute.
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

ok well here is what i did. i did the second "do" from this video

but only half a pony instead of my full head because i was having issues getting it all to stay in one, maybe after some more knotting & length some styles will stick better :) i do like what i got out of it tho ;)

updated by @ixchel: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

Well, I'm not sure if this will help you, since I don't have a pic of the back, but I'll try to explain.

Namely, a year ago I was just beginning dreading, and couldn't do anything with my hair. BUT, since I was supposed to do a fashion show, something had to be done.

So this is what they did with my hair.

(I'm the one in the front. xD )

It was done by pulling my hair back as if a ponytail was to be made, but instead of that, the hairdresser twisted my hair (as for a tight bun). Well, like this. (I figured it was easier for me to just take a picture. :D )

The tips (under my fingers) were left loose, evenly spread out on the side, and pinned there. It takes a lot of pins, but it looked neat.

Also, the twisted part was straight, not crooked as in the pic, this is just to show what I mean. :)

My hair was a shorter than yours, tho, but I believe it can be done, you should just twist more hair. :)

updated by @rainbow-fortune: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

thanks for the suggestion! I posted what i ended up doing for last night, but we had such a great time out I made him promise to take me out again sometime :)

You look lovely there! How old were your dreadies at that time? Thanks for the pic tutorial. I am trying it out here but my hair is super thick & poofy i bet it would take a ton of pins! it used to for skating when i pinned it up, plus it would be slathered in hair spray/goop lol. The last cut i had right before dreading i had a lot of layers put in & it was excessively thinned with thinning shears so i have a lot of weird lengths & stuff going on. I think i made a mess of it haha.

i can almost get this to stay, i was able to get the half bun thingy i did to stay with only my hair (& the bobby pin i wore to my wedding just to keep the bangs back). I want to revisit this style once I have a good dread long enough to loop around the twisty bun <3

Rainbow Fortune said:

Well, I'm not sure if this will help you, since I don't have a pic of the back, but I'll try to explain.

Namely, a year ago I was just beginning dreading, and couldn't do anything with my hair. BUT, since I was supposed to do a fashion show, something had to be done.

So this is what they did with my hair.

(I'm the one in the front. xD )

It was done by pulling my hair back as if a ponytail was to be made, but instead of that, the hairdresser twisted my hair (as for a tight bun). Well, like this. (I figured it was easier for me to just take a picture. :D )

The tips (under my fingers) were left loose, evenly spread out on the side, and pinned there. It takes a lot of pins, but it looked neat.

Also, the twisted part was straight, not crooked as in the pic, this is just to show what I mean. :)

My hair was a shorter than yours, tho, but I believe it can be done, you should just twist more hair. :)

updated by @ixchel: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

I didn't see your photos until after I posted my reply, but I figured you or someone else might like it anyway, so I left it there. :)

I love what you did, btw. :D

Thank you. :D They were about a month old, so it was a bit easier to pull it back neatly - it would be much harder now as I have a bunch of loops sticking out near the roots everywhere. :D

Yeah, it could be a bit trickier with layers. I always had layers before, but in February last year I broke up with a guy and cut my hair chin length, no layers, and haven't done anything to it since, so it was layer-free for the show (which was in August last year). :D

And it did take a ton of pins. I have a looot of hair, and I remember it took me about 20 mins to take them all out afterwards. But, I got to keep them all, and they sure do come in handy now, as I'm growing my bangs out, and can't see anything if I don't pin them up. :D

It would probably look even better with completely dreaded hair, tho I can't imagine getting mature dreads pinned up. Guess I'll see if it works once I have them. :D

I love the hairstyles which use only dreads, no pins, no nothing. Yesterday I figured out I can tie two of my dreads from behind my ears to the back of my head, and was soo happy. They have loops near the ends, though, so I will need more length for them to really stay there. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form